Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 7, 2005, 5:18 PM   #1

Hey everyone, Im very new to photography although I have always wanted to, I am just now financially able to persue it. After much research I chose the FZ15 and added a 256 mb memory card, it seemed easy enough for a newbie to learn yet had the ability to allow me to grow. I will start posting some pictures soon, but as of yet I am very unsure how to go about getting the results Im looking for. What I am having trouble with is doing Macro shots, as long as I dont zoom, the pics look ok, but after I try to zoom I lose everything, any help with settings would be greatly appreciated. I have read the manual it came with, but Im still pretty confused, I would like to get the most outta my new baby, is there a website that would have something like photography 101 or some place I could get a FZ15 crash course?

Thanks for any help or tips, I'll be around, just looking this site for a while.
Johnnyrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2005, 5:31 PM   #2

Hi welcome... congrats on your choice. Macros tend to work only up to about 3X zoom with the built in. That's why folks go out and buy macro lenses. The most popular is the Nikon 6T, another (and the one I have...) is the Raynox DCR250. These allow you to use the full range of the zoom.

... my, my hey, hey
The F-15 is hear to staaaaaaay.
It's better the burn out than fade away
My, my, hey, hey

... sorry. Mind wandering. :?
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2005, 5:37 PM   #3

Welcome aboard!! I own a FZ-15 too, and I'm very happy with this camera.

I am no expert in macro shoots, there a some macro-experts over here, I hope they can help you.

In my experience, in macro picts you can not focus with zoom. It is like your eyes, the camera needs special lens for correcting that "miopia". A good and cheap solution is attaching a close-up filter (in fact it is a lens, but usually is called "filter"). They come in different dipotres. You can get a close up lens set (+1, +2, +4) by $50.00 more less. With this close up lens you can focus a very near objet and zoom it, so it looks bigger.

One of the most used by Lumix owners is Nikon 6t.
msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2005, 5:38 PM   #4

The macro feature of the fz series is one of its few shortcomings. Basically, macro mode ceases after 3x zoom. Fortunately this can be resolved by the addition of an add-on close-up lens. See http://www.ishots.net/fz1-2faq/fz1macros.htm Info pertains to all fz series cameras. You will also want to invest in an adapter that attaches to the camera and accepts the close-up lens (among other add-on lens).

-Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 5:04 PM   #5

Thanks for the info, I'll go check out the add ons right now. Does anyone have a link for a good place to buy the Nikon 6t or the Raynox 250?
Old Feb 8, 2005, 5:15 PM   #6

As mentioned, you will need to get an adapter to accept the macro lens. The best deal IMO is the raynox rt5264p ($16 at bugeyedigital). It has 52mm female threads at the filter end (64mm at the camera end). An excellent 52mm +3 diopter macro lens is the nikon 4t ($37 atB&H photo). Add another ~$7 for shipping and you will have wisely spent ~$70. That will open the world of macrofor you very nicely.

PS: IMO, the dcr250 (+8 diopter)is overkill with the fz15. Get a +3 diopter and crop to maximize your depth of field. 4t is essentally a 6t with smaller diameter threads.

Old Feb 8, 2005, 5:29 PM   #7

So I will need the adapter no matter what lens I buy, correct? Im not very good at cropping just yet, so Im open to any suggestions, I did like the comparison shots using the 250. Now if I buy the rt5264p adapter, will I be able to use both the Nikon 4t and the 6t, or do they both use different adapters? Thanks for the help.
Old Feb 8, 2005, 7:43 PM   #8

Yes, you will need an adapter. Actually, the hood adapter that comes with the fz15 will also accept 72mm add-on lenses. There are two problems with using that adapter. 1) 72mm lens are quite expensive and 2) using that adapter to attach add-on lens puts the add-on about 20mm from the extended fz15 lens. Ideally, you want the add-on and the camera lens as close as possible without actually touching. There are a number of manufacturers of what are called third party adapters that are shorter (ie, get the lens as close as possible) and smaller in diameter. They are called tube adapters because they are basically a cylinder or tube that allows the camera lens to extend and retract inside the adapter. The front end is threaded to accept add-on lenses or filters. Many people keep one of these adapters on at all times with a uv filter screwed on the front to protect the exetnsion housing and the camera lens itself from fingerprints and dust and moisture. A uv filter will generally not affect the quality of the photo. The uv filter has male threads that thread into the front adapter threads and also has female threads of the same size on its front to accept another add-on such as a close-up or macro lens. This is frequently the way people attach different lens and alsoprotect the camera lens. The Raynox tube adapter has 52mm threads. If you get that, also purchase a 52mm multicoated uv filter for about $20 and keep both on the fz15 at all times for protection. Also purchase a nikon 4t for macro shots. The nikon 6t is basically the same as the 4t but has 62mm threads. If you decide to get that, then you would want to look fro a 62mm tube adapter. Pemaraal and Phayee are two manufactureres of thatdiamter tube adapter. Then you would also want to purchase a 62mm uv filter. The raynox/uv/4t is the least expensive and simplest combo. It is just as good as any other larger size.