Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 7, 2005, 8:16 PM   #1

I just received my Phayee adapter today and was anxious to get it on my camera so that I couldtry out my 67mm polarizingfilter. I decided to take a couple of shots of my pool- one with minimum effect and the other at maximum effect. The results are pretty dramatic. Please ignore the composition, this picture is for effect only. I thought some of the newbies (I'm one too) might like to see what effect a polarizer has when used by one of us. It's about 5:00PM and the sun is coming from the pictures right. My setup on the camera is as follows: Phayee adapter ring, Phayee trim ring, 62 to 67mm stepup ring and Hoya 67mm polarizer. It looks like this:

This shot is minimum effect. Shutter 1/125 @ 3.3

The next shot is maximum effect. Shutter 1/100 @ 2.8

Photos were shot about 15 seconds apart. I did hit the beach for a couple of shots nothing to get excited about just some seabirds:

and a surfer (sorry northern folk, but yes they are surfing here).

herk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2005, 8:30 PM   #2

Interesting.......cuts down reflections and also puts a color cast on the cement color. By the way, pull that weed in the corner please
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2005, 8:40 PM   #3

Right Nooner. I was the thinking the photo could use a little landscape, pots of flowers, a palm....
shotgunbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2005, 9:44 PM   #4

the effect would likely be more dramatic on a brighter day, when there's more reflection from the water. and there clearly wasn't the right kind of light at the beach for a polarizer to help you much... it'll really show up with blue sky and white, puffy clouds, or when there's a lot of reflected light off the water...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2005, 10:17 PM   #5

I'm pretty pleased with the effect. I do a lot of fishing and one of the problems in shooting fishing related pictures is reflected light and the way it masks what's beneath the surface. With regard to the pool, the deck is a creme color. The wall itself is white (needs its bi-monthly scrub down) and the plant in the corner is a weed. We had some nicer plants but the four minor inconveniences (huricanes) we had last summer pretty muchtrashed them while knocking the heck out of this area and most of Florida. People are still waiting to get their roofs and other damages repaired. Wewere fortunate to escape with minor damage but many others weren't so lucky. Any way, I think I accomplished what I wanted to with the post. Thanks for your comments.
herk56 is offline   Reply With Quote