Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 9, 2005, 5:14 AM   #11

jsiladi wrote:
Quote:
playlong wrote:
Quote:
You should have seen me; prone with the rail running down the center of my entire body, ouch, and the FZ propped in front.
I used the EV to setup in manual mode, did a manual focus and then covered my head with a towel, switched to the LCD back for composition.
Just then I heard a rather loud rumble and a blasting horn. Not thinking much of it I continued to compose. Luckily, I remembered what man-made beast makes that kind of noise :shock: ........

Great rail photo..

Jeff

The thought did enter my mind, it was off peak hours so I was not too rushed.
playlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 9:03 AM   #12

Bloody Excellent!
ras2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 7:29 PM   #13

ras2a wrote:
Quote:
Bloody Excellent!
Thank you and hello from across the pond.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 7:43 PM   #14

playlong wrote:
Quote:
ras2a wrote:
Quote:
Bloody Excellent!
Hiya mate, keep up the ace work Lovin' these pics
ras2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 6:02 PM   #15

ras2a wrote:
Quote:
playlong wrote:
Quote:
ras2a wrote:
Quote:
Bloody Excellent!
Hiya mate, keep up the ace work Lovin' these pics
I have another RR shot taken the same day. I will post it soon under the title "Never cross a gate".
Old Feb 10, 2005, 8:44 PM   #16

hi playlong,

I surely wish that you take a hard look on the train timings, before you go on all fours, to take another of such shots:blah:
wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 10:14 PM   #17

HI...

Very interesting perspective. I don't mean to be a spoilsport, but what you did was very dangerous and also very illegal. Photography around railyards is dangerous in itself simply because we are concentrating only on trying to get the perfect shot - and as large as a locomotive is, they are surprisingly quiet when they are moving unless they are blowing the horn. If a railroad special agent (RR equivalent of a cop) catches you on their property, you would be charged with criminal trespassing. In this post 9-11 time period, the railroads are not tolerantof trespassers.

Railroad photography is one of my favorite areas to shoot - There are a lot of interesting subjects there - however, we all need to remember tobe safe and legal while persuing our hobby.

Thanks for my 2 minutes on my soapbox.

Dalene

CaseSteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 12:29 AM   #18

CaseSteam wrote:
Quote:
HI...

Very interesting perspective. I don't mean to be a spoilsport, but what you did was very dangerous and also very illegal. Photography around railyards is dangerous in itself simply because we are concentrating only on trying to get the perfect shot - and as large as a locomotive is, they are surprisingly quiet when they are moving unless they are blowing the horn. If a railroad special agent (RR equivalent of a cop) catches you on their property, you would be charged with criminal trespassing. In this post 9-11 time period, the railroads are not tolerantof trespassers.

Railroad photography is one of my favorite areas to shoot - There are a lot of interesting subjects there - however, we all need to remember tobe safe and legal while persuing our hobby.

Thanks for my 2 minutes on my soapbox.

Dalene

No problem casesteam and Wise, this is a commuter railroad spur; I just watched the southbound 2:00pm non-peak train go by. I checked the schedule andthe next south bound was an hour away. The shot dynamics were planned before I laid down two feet from the railroad crossing. The execution phase took 1 minute. The legality is another story. If you want to know, dangerous I tell you how I snuck into East Jerusalem and shot pictures of Palestinians.

:|

Old Feb 11, 2005, 8:48 AM   #19

Playlong has revealed his identity:

LoveLife
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote