Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 9, 2005, 4:32 AM   #11

jazzmaster221 wrote:
Quote:
where did you take those shots ...they are really wonderful...what club was that ... good jazz is so hard to fine now adays...beautiful prints of some lovely ladys...
BRAVO.............

These shots were taken at a free concertin Untermyer Park, Yonkers NY, Sept 4, 2004.. The outdoor stage was nothing more then a wooden platform 30 feet by 20 feet and 30 inches off the ground. I arrived mistakenly too early and watched two guys set up four unmanned four-spot poles in each corner of the stage. These park employees, begrudgingly on overtime, were obviously unschooled in any sort of lighting technique. They were about to depart when I mentioned that part of the platform was poorly illuminated. We corrected all spots to my satisfaction.

All the effects in the pictures were obtained by the angle of capture, and the manual metering on a part of the performer. During the performance, I was constantly shooed by members of their entourage but we came to an agreement and I prevailed. What more could a Jazz buff hope for, lighting director and "personal photographer to Sage". Their riffs picked me up and brought me to a new creative level. I believe Sage was a pickup group because all my efforts to find them and share my good fortune have failed. Except just now, I did another Internet search and found out about a Dinner with Music concert scheduled in Connecticut on March 20[suP]th, [/suP]sponsored by the Stamford Center for the Arts. I whipped off this email to the Arts center: "I have been trying to contact Sage since August of 2004. I attended their concert and wish to share my photographic good fortune. Could you please put me in contact with their manager?"

BTW, I use my custom lens hood to knock out ambient light.

http://www.telecharge.com/tickets_3rd_Annual_Classical_Jazzical
_Bluesical_Musical_Stamord_Rich_Forum_Studio_all.a spx

One should never give up.

playlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 10:33 AM   #12

Nancy Gabby wrote:
Quote:
Hi playlong, Love the pictures. I love the little jazz clubs here in NYC. It reminds me of when I was in New Orleans, back when I was a teen, we would hear music coming from these alleyways and go into these dark alleys to find a tiny little door which opened to the sweetest sounding jazz music, it was so raw, the energy I mean. And the heat, it was very hot, if I remember correctly. I love the first shot and the motion of the drumstick-it says it all. The second shot looks professionally lit from behind (an accent light, or hair light--great). I like the third shot but it is frustrating to me, mainly b/c I have the same problem with my camera, it focused on the mic and not the flute or person. People on this forum will just chuckle and say something to themselves like, the girl just doesn't know how to focus. But I did an experiment and I was using the spot focusing and it still was focusing on the wrong thing. As they say here "IMHO" I believe the camera has some minor focusing issues-ok fellas start throwing the rocks at me now, but I do. And I see people, write in saying how some of their shots are blurry.

ok, I am getting OT here, great pics, really! If you do more please post, I love looking at pictures (it's the reason I became a photographer!)

Are you old enough to rember Storyville in The BIG Easy and Birdland in NYC, those were the days. Yes you are correct the focusing system is a magnet to vertical liner objects, but I still like the picture. I posted some more shots under:

Sage the Female Jazz Band II .. comments welcome
Old Feb 9, 2005, 4:23 PM   #13

I haven't heard of Storyville, but have heard of the other two. I am 36 now, and I hae been to a lot of the clubs with friends that are into jazz. I love the old stuff, but I don't know much more beyond my Miles Davis and my John Coltrane discs. And, of course, I love dancing to Swing. Every year I drag my friends to Lincoln Center (outside) they have a big swing dance festival, usually in August. And I do love your pics, I checked out the other link.
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 4:52 PM   #14

Nancy Gabby wrote:
Quote:
I haven't heard of Storyville, but have heard of the other two. I am 36 now, and I hae been to a lot of the clubs with friends that are into jazz. I love the old stuff, but I don't know much more beyond my Miles Davis and my John Coltrane discs. And, of course, I love dancing to Swing. Every year I drag my friends to Lincoln Center (outside) they have a big swing dance festival, usually in August. And I do love your pics, I checked out the other link.

Thanks for looking and commenting.

I am not a swingman more progressive, but if you like a sweet piano try an artist named Bill Evans. He was an addict and passed away a few years ago. He used to record his own songs as well as tunes like Autumn Leaves, Some Day My Prince Will Come, Hey there and Make Someone Happy. These tunes are hokey but you will not believe his renditions. The rhythms are different and he will infuse 50 notes were there used to be two. The man was an unsung genius. Do a Goggle search for "Bill Evans" piano, about 150,000 entries.

Bye for now.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 5:16 PM   #15

great band pics...
here is another by lovelife
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=12180319
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 5:44 PM   #16

boyzo wrote:
Quote:
great band pics...
here is another by lovelife
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=12180319

By gosh you got me.

LoveLife at your service.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 5:57 PM   #17

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
getting him coffee, like a lady...

Ok, I'll bite on this one. Black, please Nick. Truth of it is, my "boys", (my employees) get me my coffee. Your a pig but I like you anyway.
shotgunbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 6:46 PM   #18

shotgunbride wrote:
Quote:
Your a pig but I like you anyway.
You like me 'cause of it.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote