Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 8, 2005, 11:11 AM   #11

Grrrrrrr!! Why does Panasonic keep omitting sound recording in the 4 megapixel models? I guess they WANT you to pay more for the 5 megapixel. If that's the case, why make the 4's!!
ugafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 11:18 AM   #12

The EVF/LCD low light problem also effects the FZ10/15/20 as well and I don't think it has anything to do with the external flash - the LCD/EVF don't gain up in low light and trying to compose a shot can be a real pain.If its not a problem with the FZ1, I wonder why they broke it for the later FZ's and failed to correct it ?

Like cageyman said .. "its an added value feature!"

:?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 11:31 AM   #13

Looks like the CCD is larger and the lens is slower. I don't know........................
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 11:33 AM   #14

You could be right. The original fz1doesn't gain up. The upgrade to the fz2 does. I'll findout inApril how the fz5 does. I have one on pre-order from Amazon for $500; est delivery April 20-22.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 11:39 AM   #15

So you jumped in Fred. I think you're the one I'd choose for a good review of the FZ5. April eh........?
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 11:47 AM   #16

I'm ready, nooner. I tried the fz20 and rather quickly fell doubly in love with the fz1v2. It's a very hard camera to beat, IMO. The fz5 definitely has its work cut out. I'm not going to be satisified with just more pixels. They gotta be quality pixels. We'll see. Hey, maybe I'll be an April Fool.:G
Old Feb 8, 2005, 11:58 AM   #17

This camera looks amazing but....

How come they don't make a swivel viewfinder like the Canon S1 - I find it totally a necessary feature. Try taking pix of babies on the floor without this or be creative with up high shots or a myriad of concepts.

I love the FZ5 -but whuy did they cheap out there???

T
Trevortoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 12:00 PM   #18

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
You could be right. The original fz1doesn't gain up. The upgrade to the fz2 does. I'll findout inApril how the fz5 does. I have one on pre-order from Amazon for $500; est delivery April 20-22.

On the German Panasonic website, the FZ5 is announced for March 15th. Since they have been reliable before (with the release date of the FZ3), I assume that the FZ5 is Available around March 20th in Germany.

What is great is the bigger sensor!

Gabi
jazzcrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 12:18 PM   #19

Amazon givesan April 10release date.
Old Feb 8, 2005, 12:23 PM   #20

I've checked out a few press releases and read what I can find on the new FZ's and here are some facts I've been able to glean:

FZ4 is black only, 4mp, no sound recording and 1.5 inch LCD, US$450.

FZ5 is black or silver, 5mp, sound capable and 1.8 inch LCD, US$500.

Both are supposed to have slightly better battery life, and both only go to f3.3 at max zoom.

And, just so we remember that Panasonic makes something besides the FZ series, there are some other new models:

LZ1: 4 megs, f2.8-4.5 6x zoom (37-222 mm), OIS, 2 inch LCD, 14MB onboard memory, 2 AA batteries, approximately US$250, available in March.

LZ2: like the LZ1 except 5 megs, US$300.

LS1: 4megs, 3x zoom (35-105 mm), 2 inch LCD, 2 AA's, 14MB memory, available in April for US$230.

The pictures I saw of the LZ and LS have "LUMIX DC VARIO" written on the lenses. No mention of Leica.

The next few months are going to be very interesting. The technology is changing at such a high rate that by the time you get your "latest and greatest" home from the store and out of the box, it's been replaced by something even later and greater.

propwash is offline   Reply With Quote