Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 8, 2005, 1:42 PM   #21

I noticed the "Lumix lens" label on the non FZ's too. It had me curious on why they would do that. May be the lens in the new pocket cams is not up to Leica specs ?

Fred, I'm looking forward to the review !

Harj

:G
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 3:00 PM   #22

Hey Nick...........what's you're take on all this?:arrow:
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 3:33 PM   #23

nooner wrote:
Quote:
Hey Nick...........what's you're take on all this?:arrow:
Since you asked...

1. The lens was produced at a Panasonic factory in Japan, and supposedly "co-designed" with Leica, or built to "Leica's exacting marketing standards..." or some other marketing double speak. This lens was a "Leica" in name only. Or 2/3rds "in name only". I don't think Leica had much to do with it, personally, except rent their name to Panasonic. Same as the Sony's Zeiss. It was used to get some street cred early on, now it's no longer needed.

2. I read the review of the FZ5. I am concerned about the issues cited in the review regarding jaggies and oversharpness. Jaggies are very difficult to correct in post without sacrificing detail. Likewise with oversharpness. When images are oversharpened in the camera, the only way to de-sharpen it is to blur the image. I also don't like the loss of brightness at max telephoto. How this will effect picture taking from a practical standpoint I don't know. I wouldn't consider the FZ-4 because it doesn't capture sound on vid caps. I do use this feature, some don't however. I'm finding I like quick little Qtimes of memories - few secs here, few secs there, that I can click on my laptop over long (and boring) home movies. The deal breaker is (I'm guessing) they block ir, which I enjoy.

... so, for now I'm sticking to the FZ-1v2. If the price drops to about $350 in the next couple years I'll consider it.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 4:42 PM   #24

No Manual focus = no interest from Treemonkey = Keep my FZ10 until Panasonic makes a camera that is significantly better than it. To me the FZ10 still does everything I want and none of these new models do anything more other than adding some noisy megapixels.
My two cents

Treemonkey

PS - It looks like a point and shoot camera.
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 5:28 PM   #25

Per the FZ5 review,
Quote:
the sharpening may be turned up a tad bit high, and you can see some "jaggies" on straight edges as a result
I bet if it really is a noticable issue, it will be corrected with a firmware update before the cameras are released to the public.
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 5:38 PM   #26

The FZ5 still bears the leica name on the lens

I am with Nick don't see a need to get one the FZ1v2 is fine atm.

Nick the Jaggies can that not be eliminated by setting in menu a particular picture quality ? .... would TIFF elimate it (less shots on card) and need for PP

As Tree said it does not have manual focus but this would have added cost and and bulk to the lens barrel.

The sample images on panasonic jp web site do look good.

Cheers All
Attached Images

boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 6:05 PM   #27

If this is going to retail for $500, why would you not be looking at the FZ20? I think I was justunder 5 when I bought mine in October. Is it the size/bulk? That is the down side for me. I had mine in my handbag today and it is bulky. My 2 cents, and probably not worth that in today's economy. Joe
shotgunbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 6:21 PM   #28

shotgunbride wrote:
Quote:
If this is going to retail for $500, why would you not be looking at the FZ20? I think I was just under 5 when I bought mine in October. Is it the size/bulk? That is the down side for me. I had mine in my handbag today and it is bulky. My 2 cents, and probably not worth that in today's economy. Joe
Joe in Aus the FZ5 is ~699AUD the FZ20 is near 900AUD
FZ5 would be a good buy.
The small size of the the FZ5 really is a big plus.
my 2c in weak Aus dollar.
John

boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 7:16 PM   #29

MSRP is $500. It will probably hit circus city at $440 and be available online for under $400 by mid-summer. By Christmas it will be well under $400. Not many people will pay $500.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 7:22 PM   #30

Quote:
why would you not be looking at the FZ20
Yes, Size! The pro photog and the serious hobbiest don't care, because they carry the big camera bag or backpack with all their goodies in it regardless. But the consumer who wants pictures of his trip that are higher in quality than a P&S camera will see the value in an "almost FZ20 quality" camera in a much smaller package.
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote