Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 8, 2005, 8:03 PM   #31

trooplewis wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
why would you not be looking at the FZ20
Yes, Size! The pro photog and the serious hobbiest don't care, because they carry the big camera bag or backpack with all their goodies in it regardless. But the consumer who wants pictures of his trip that are higher in quality than a P&S camera will see the value in an "almost FZ20 quality" camera in a much smaller package.
Actually quite a few pros don't like DSLR bulk :-) and quietly
use the Lumix FZxx

I too have lugged SLR kits and won't anymore, I think the lumix FZxx free's you up ... the FZ1v2 and now the FZ5 offer everything that even a serious shooter would wan't.

Technically a canon 20D can walk over any Lumix and yes for publication and acceptance in pro circle the images are more acceptable than from an FZxx.

Reality is you can capture incredible shots with an FZxx because of the one lens and even the point and shoot works for you...

boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 8:21 PM   #32

all very interesting, but, as has been pointed out before, what does it offer that the FZ20 doesn't? i suppose if small size is an overriding concern, the FZ5 would be a good bet... they stuffed an FZ20 sensor in the FZ3 body and tweaked it about the edges a bit, and it's nice an' small for a 5MP ultrazoom, but at the end of the day, it still won't do all the things the FZ20 does. compared to a 35mm SLR, i find the FZ20 far handier and easier to carry, and if it's stilltoo big for what i wanna do, i slip my LC43 in my pocket. no need for something 'in between'...

for FZ1/3 users who just GOTTA have more pixels, the 4/5 might be a good bet. my guess is, though, panasonic isn't hoping for upgrade buyers as much as trying to lure more new Lumix fans by jacking up the pixel count so the salesmen have a more powerful selling tool. it'll probably work, too...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 9:30 PM   #33

As long as they make a good camera, I dont care why they did it. I tried upgrading from the fz1v2 to the fz20 but it was just too big for my taste. This looks much better.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 9:37 PM   #34

you hit it, fzmoore... it's a matter of taste. for those like yourself, who like compact, the new FZ5 might be just the tickect. for people like me, who either don't care or actually prefer a little more substantial bulk (helps me hold it steady, and the size & weight don't faze me at all), the larger FZ'z are the way to go.it would seem thatPanasonic has come up with a way to give us all a good 5MP superzoom, sotake yer pick!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 11:38 AM   #35

How about looking at this site for the news on these cameras?

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/pa...z4-fz5_pr.html

http://www.steves-digicams.com/diginews.html#fz4
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 9:48 PM   #36

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
I have the fz1 (upgraded to fz2) and am very happy with it. I brieflyhad the fz20 for a couple of weeks and felt that the added pixels were not worth the added size and returned it. I also felt the Venus II processor's noise reduction was a little too strong but will admit I really didn't play with it enough to learn it since I'd already decided not to keep it. Now, that they have come out with a 5mp in the size I want, I will be much more likely to step up to the FZ5. Undoubtedly, the noise reduction again will be an issue, but certain trade-offs have to be expected. The two things I long for - more mp for cropping and increased low light capability (ie, stronger flash and af assist) - make the FZ5very desirable.
You made the right choice, I had one for 10 days stuffing 5 mp on the chip was too much it increased the noise so much that the had to build it in the camera.

BTW Panasonic can now put up to 9mp in the same camea without any other changes.

playlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 11:06 AM   #37

I had decided to buy the fz20, and had my sister lined up to purchase it in hong kong at the end of this month, but it I think I'll hold off and buythe fz5 - cheaper (quoted price on panasonics german website is €499, fz20 is €599) and smaller with pretty much the same features. Manual focus would have been nice, but I reckon I'll have enough learning to keep me going for a few years.

or do ye think I should go with the fz20 (can be got in HK for about €400-450)?
digicamak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 5:57 PM   #38

You are comparing two different types of cameras between the FZ5 which is a lower model compared to the top of the line FZ20; go to Pansonic's website to compare the features.

digicamak wrote:
Quote:
I had decided to buy the fz20, and had my sister lined up to purchase it in hong kong at the end of this month, but it I think I'll hold off and buythe fz5 - cheaper (quoted price on panasonics german website is €499, fz20 is €599) and smaller with pretty much the same features. Manual focus would have been nice, but I reckon I'll have enough learning to keep me going for a few years.

or do ye think I should go with the fz20 (can be got in HK for about €400-450)?
Old Feb 10, 2005, 6:43 PM   #39

Well, that's a surprise; I never expected panasonic to really come with that small fz20 :GIt also surprises me how much value is attached to the P&S size.. But I bet it's smart marketing. How many would have bought the fz5 instead of -20, if they were released at the same time?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Curious; will this lead to another wave of new members, who just bought this new smally?
greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 7:21 PM   #40

The new FZ4 and FZ5 cameras MUST be destroyed!
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote