Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 9, 2005, 3:58 PM   #11

D70 best of the lot.
FZ-20 great non DSLR, best value of those you're comparing
Digital Rebel... not bad but others have caught up. Not in the same league as the D-70. Many dislike its build quality.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 4:14 PM   #12

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/sho...?t=1760&page=1

Here's the other link I mentioned before - worth reading and theres a set of comparisons between the Rebel and FZ20. I've not seen anything comparing the D70 to the FZ though.

Harj

:?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 9:08 PM   #13

Once again, thank you all for your valuable input.

I guess I am on the right track either for D70 or Lumix FZ20. The best in their own turf

Putting D70 aside, can someone share his thought on the subject: controlling depth of field in this camera.
:|
query is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 2:25 AM   #14

Hi Nick & HarjTT,

Thank you both for coming back to this thread. I am glad that I am taking my time to pick out my next digicam. I have been spending fair amount of my time in Discussion Forum reading both of your comments as well as others on FZ20, FZ15 and FZ10.

Last weekend, I had a chance to try out FZ20,D70 and a bonus on LC-1. The bonus was a wonderful experience. For me, LC-1 is a beautiful camera indeed. Nice balance in weight, comfortable in hand, and has a classic feel of a German made and designed 35mm SLR. It is also an expensive collector's item.

Both D70 and FZ20 are wonderful but like Nick said, they are different. It is not fair to compare dSLR and digicam. I can go on and on with my hands-on experiences with my findings but this is not the reason for bringing both of you back into this thread.

I want to thank Nick for explaining his view on noise for all FZ models. His thread, "Why all the noise about FZ20 ?" truly makes me think twice about buying FZ20.(Type "FZ15" in search and look under P.21)I am glad I had a chance to read it before making my purchase. I totally concur with Nick. Just prior to my reading to Nick's thread, I read Mike Chaney in Tech Corner, "The Megapixels Race", in which he shares a similar view as Nick.

My next digicam purchase will be my third. Previously, I had an Olympus 2040, a 1.3 MP, P&S camera. Currently, I am a four months users of Canon A80. At the time, I had a similar struggle between the newcomer A95 [5MP] and an established, reputable A80 [4MP]. Many comments for A95 were similar to FZ20...noise and chromatic abberations on higher ISO. Many experienced Canon users feel the additional MP is the cause for the problems. By jamming additional MP on the same size sensor as on A80, it probably creates noise and CA. I believe this is still a hot debate over at Canon camp. So, thank you Nick for explaining sensor size in relation with number of MP.

Hi HarjTT,
I have been looking at your photo postings in the forum. I like the way you use your FZ10. If I remember correctly, the only complaint you have is the grip is little small for your hands. I guess I am OK in this department. If you can, please forward some of your photos in night/day with various ISO and various Depth of Field...F2.8 to F8. If I were going to get a FZ, it would be either a FZ15 or FZ10.

May be, both of you are wondering why the jump from Canon to Lumix. Without saying, the Leica lens, 12 telezoom and image stabilizer are all elements that I am looking for in my new camera. The feature IS is important for me. The medications that I am taking for my health are causing me to have hands shake. If I want to take night/indoors shots, a tripod is a must even in wider angle with F2.8. Unfortunately, not all occassions allow me to use tripod. Cameras with IS feature should/could help me in this area.

I have written a lot and thank you both to your attention to my thread.
Old Feb 17, 2005, 3:04 AM   #15

Exif references:
Aperture: F8
Exposure time: 2.5 sec
Focal length: 114mm
ISO: 50/100 (not remember!)
Camera: Canon A80

Comments:
Very clean, clear, very little noise if any. This is what I am looking for in FZ10 or FZ15 performance.
Attached Images

Old Feb 17, 2005, 9:00 AM   #16

Thanks for the nice post query. I'm trying to put a little gallery together at the moment of some of my pics.. nothing special but you can find them here: http://harjtt.smugmug.com - what a mug I've become !

I had a look at the D70 last night - I did like the grip on it and having an optical viewfinder instead of an EVF was nice but it somehow didnt feel as good as my FZ10. Do get an eye cup for the FZ if you decide to purchase one, I've found using the EVF with the eye cup has made a big difference in reducing the amount of camera shake I was getting before.

Regards the Pana LC1 I saw someone selling it on ebay for £600 brand new and that to me is a s steal! I'm kind of waiting to see what the FZ30 will be like although I'm happy with the FZ10 as I still got a heck of a lot to learn.

Harj

:? :O

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 9:22 PM   #17

Hi HarjTT,
Thank you for your prompt reply and posting. Although I have not gone through the whole collection, this is what I am looking for. Photos without much editing/dark room work.

LC-1...yes, I think the price is coming down. Despite my love for the machine, it could be even nicer by including ISO 50...creating that silky photos.

D70...is more chunkier and bulkier camera incompare to FZ 10. FZ10 is more of Epson R-D1...a nice comparsion, ha !!
The body of FZ10 is more of the meaning form and function. It is lean but very functional. I better stop before D70 admirers and users come over and kill me :blah:

FZ30...really !!

Thanks again and will chat later.