Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 8, 2005, 11:56 AM   #1

Trying to figure out which camera to buy ? Can someone tell me the followings,

1.Is it fair to compare FZ20 with Nikon D70 and Canon Rebel ?
2. For FZ20, where or how to adjust focus and f/stop setting ? Is it all done on the camera lens as in classic 35mm camera lens or push buttons at the back of the camera as in most modern digital compact cameras ? Thanks

query is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2005, 12:27 PM   #2

The FZ20 has a manual focus ring, similar to what you will see on a 35mm SLR. Shutter speed and f-stop adjustments are made with a combination of the mode dial and menu system.
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 12:28 PM   #3

query wrote:
Quote:

Not, it is not fair since the D70 and Digital Rebel have a much larger sensor size.
Quote:
2. For FZ20, where or how to adjust focus and f/stop setting ? Is it all done on the camera lens as in classic 35mm camera lens or push buttons at the back of the camera as in most modern digital compact cameras ? Thanks

the focus is adjusted by a little plastic stuff placed at the left side of the camera.....and the f/stop setting by moving the jog dial to "A" ( the jog is at the top, but the arrows to change the aperture are at the back....quite easy

fz10_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 12:37 PM   #4

query wrote:
Quote:

That depends on what you are comparing but not really. The Canon and D70 are interchangable lens dSLRs but you knew that right? The dSLRs have TTL viewfinders where the FZ (and all others like it) do not. It has an Electronic Viewfinder (evf). I think the dSLRs also have a larger chip so they may be less noisy in some situations. Those, in my opinion, are the largest differences worth noting from a user standpoint.

Quote:
The FZ20 does have manual focus but not manual zoom. You can manually set speed and aperature via menus on the screen.

If you Really want to make a valid compare, go to the websites and download the manuals. Decide what you want to do and see if the cameras will serve the purpose.

Jeff
:G
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 1:49 PM   #5

Here's a good thread that was posted by normcar on his FZ10 compared to his new rebel:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...ht=Canon+rebel

There was another post that I saw a while back that compared the FZ10 to the rebel and from recollection the FZ10's pictures were better, which was a bit shocking. I'll post the link as soon as I find it.

Harj
:blah:
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 2:10 PM   #6

Thank you all for providing valuable info and references.
I like Lumix because of the lens from Lecia,12x tele lens and built in image stabilizer. It gives beautiful photos as well as functional.

I was hoping focusing, shutter speed and f-stop are all controlled similar to Lecia Digilux 2...by the way, it is still my dream camera despite lot of new DSLR have since come out.

query is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 2:18 PM   #7

I think you can't compare them.. dSLR and consumer cams just work different.

Higher iso.. TTL-2 with external flashes. I just depends on the budget. If you want a good digital camera with telezoom. the FZ series are good.

If you want proffesional photo's.. go for a dSLR. But be prepared to spend an even amount of money on the body as on the lenses / acces.
TimvdVelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 3:27 PM   #8

Even if you try to compare them for image quality, if you do it on here, the bigger images are gonna suffer more from reduction. To get an accurate comparison, you'd have to compare a 4 Mpixel image on 3 cameras equallly reduced in size to fit here, or whatever site you are putting them on. If you are linking, and not reducing, out of fairness, they all still have to be set to 4 Mpixel.

MainFragger
FZFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 3:30 PM   #9

I think fzfun meant 5 megapixel images since it's a FZ20.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 3:48 PM   #10

Oops..I do that all the time. I have the FZ10, and I am so use to telling people its 4 Mpixel..that I tend to slip when I post sometimes. 5 Mpixel indeed. Like your Johnny Depp Icon...but I AM fearing Willy Wonka by Tim Burton.

FZFUN
FZFUN is offline   Reply With Quote