Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 8, 2005, 1:35 PM   #1

what are the thoughts on the overall image quality comparing these two cameras?

TIA!

KoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2005, 1:45 PM   #2

The best way to compare this is to compare the photo's...

Use the camera search function @ www.pbase.com
Or check out the sample pictures of the reviews on www.steves-digicams.com

cheers,

Tim
TimvdVelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 2:16 PM   #3

Negligible at best. I have an FZ10 and FZ20. A friend and co-worker of mine has the FZ15. Nothing done head to head as of yet since we have different preferences in photography.

Do your homework and search for examples posted.

Tims suggestions are good ones.

This website has reviews on both cameras. Look at the examples.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 8:38 PM   #4

appreciate that website link. nice.

I have been doing research

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/sho...ge=1&pp=10

one thing I've noticed is references to additional noise of some going from the old gen FZ10 to the FZ20.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=12104820

I don't know how this pertains to the FZ15 as it shares much with FZ20 (venus II etc) and far fewer own or even have access to the FZ15 since it is less MP (and that sells) no sound (ditto on sells) and is only available in the US.

I'm basically curious if the FZ15 with lower MP and ISO is less noisy than it's better "bigger" (MP wise) brother.
Old Feb 8, 2005, 8:59 PM   #5

i think the FZ15 may be marginally less noisy, but i also think you'd be pretty darn hard pressed to tell the difference. i tend to lean toward the higher pixel count of the FZ20, simply because, as has been mentioned numerous times, the ability to crop an image and still have enough resolution for a nice 8x10 or even 11x14 print is a big plus for me. besides, noise can be removed pretty easily, but you can't add pixels that aren't there...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 3:31 PM   #6

ended up going with the FZ15K since I couldn't get a FZ20K for a reasonable amount more than the FZ15K (reasonable is say $110 for new from a reputable shop)

a contributing factor is that there's always something new right around the corner and once the new models in THIS series (probably stick with them once I learn this one a bit. unless a competitor really is a significant improvement over the pana's at that time) come out with updates or improvements I'll consider them. (or even the FZ5, although I think the next version of the large body with manual focus will be more to my liking)

then hopefully the addition of sound recording will include a higher resolution video, lower ISO or noise reduction not at a cost of detail or pixles along with the hot shoe.

then either sell the FZ15 used on e-bay or give it to my daughter who will be starting university come fall.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 3:36 PM   #7

I think you'll be happy and there are a lot of things you can do with this camera so you'll have lots to learn. Have fun.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote