Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 8, 2005, 5:23 PM   #1

Just got the Raynox DCR 6600 wide angle converter in the mail. These test shots are a little different. Most folks do outdoor shots of buildings and stuff to highlight strengths and weakness. I got this teleconverter for that (outdoors buildings...), but also for cramped quarters indoors. Ever wish you had a few more feet to squeeze every one in? All the time? Me too. So these are more along the lines of practical indoor situations, which I've never seen posted.

My bedroom is a mess. Get over it. (I did). And I must really, really like you to be showing you this. But in the interest of photography, here goes:

First shot is WITHOUT the Raynox DCR 6600. Just the Lumix at its widest. This is an average sized bedroom:

Attached Images

NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2005, 5:24 PM   #2

Standing from the same postion WITH the Raynox 6600.

Attached Images

Old Feb 8, 2005, 5:31 PM   #3

... so the above might illustrate why one of these would come in handy. The Rayox gives you about 23mm widest, regular is 35. It vignettes in the corners but I expected that. No biggie. This particular WA converter has the widest specs available out there that I know of at .66X and it widens the view field by 50%. Typical flavors are .7 and .8.

Now, I had hoped to keep this on the lens and sacrifice some zoom for the wider field. Below is zoomed to 12X, just the cam without the WA converter. And my, this ceiling fan needs a dustin (...and so does yours too).

Attached Images

Old Feb 8, 2005, 5:31 PM   #4

Congrats, Nick. Looks good. Real good. A little vignetting (you knew that was coming) but the corners are otherwise quite clean. Looking forward to some outdoor shots. Hurry up, tomorrow may be the last sunny warm day for a while.

-Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 5:32 PM   #5

Here's zoomed to 12X with the WA converter. Yecch. What a mess.

Attached Images

Old Feb 8, 2005, 5:36 PM   #6

So, the more you zoom, the blurrier the edges. However, I got this after much debate because it buys you the most space. I saw the DCR720 (Raynox) and that gives you a .72X and is sharper through out the zoom. I lamented this for a bit, but I like the space that the 6600 buys you even though things get ugly when I zoom. So, when I'm in a zooming situation, I'll take it off.

Finally, if you're considering one of these for indoors, you must, must, must use an external flash! The above were all taken with the Vivitar DF 200 extended well away from the lens with an L-bracket. This is a very large (and very well-made) chunk of glass! Why do you need an external flash? Below is a photo taken with the camera's on-board flash. See that round shadow on the refrigerator door? That's from the teleconverter!

Attached Images

Old Feb 8, 2005, 5:42 PM   #7

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
Congrats, Nick.* Looks good.* Real good.* A little vignetting (you knew that was coming) but the corners are otherwise quite clean.* Looking forward to some outdoor shots.* Hurry up, tomorrow may be the last sunny warm day for a while.

-Fred
Thanks, Fred! It arrived late this afternoon. Too dark now for outside. So far I like it. No surprises. Not really useable at full zoom but that's not why I bought it. Buys you an impressive amount of space.

... also congrats on the FZ-5! Looking forward to your thoughts in a few months. And, you were 100% right-on about B&H. Ordered Saturday, arrived today.

Nick
Old Feb 8, 2005, 5:54 PM   #8

Sorry to interupt the sequence of shots. The fz5 looks like it could be mighty pleasing. We'll see. It has a very tough act to follow. Whatever, I wont have it in my hands for another 2.5 months.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 6:17 PM   #9

Thanks for the test shots and info.
jer1ivp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 6:26 PM   #10

Nick you just had to try out the newy straight away don't we all.

:-)

boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote