Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 9, 2005, 5:31 AM   #1

Hello all,

i´ve bought a Hoya polarizing filter, but instead of a linear one it came a circular filter (much more expensive). My question is, should i keep it? does it worth the money? is it better that the linear filter? in what way?

Thank you very much Forum

Joao Pedro

joao_pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2005, 5:39 AM   #2

joao_pedro wrote:
Quote:
Hello all,

i´ve bought a Hoya polarizing filter, but instead of a linear one it came a circular filter (much more expensive). My question is, should i keep it? does it worth the money? is it better that the linear filter? in what way?

Thank you very much Forum

Joao Pedro

No, it is not worth the money on a Pansonic FZ camera.

The the Camera does not need a Circularand the Llinear will work better.

CPL is a compromise of the origional design to support TTL metering SLRs and DSLRs.

They are available on Ebay for $20.00 in 62mm and less for the smaller sizes.

playlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 7:01 AM   #3

Thanks for your answer... does anyone have an opinion on this?

Thanks
joao_pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 7:22 AM   #4

Use the search function on the forum. This issue has been discussed a thousand times.

cheers,

TIm
TimvdVelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 5:17 PM   #5
jcr

Olá Joao Pedro,

It's good to see someone with this kind of name here, where from ??

Looking for a Polarizer also, I've concluded the following

Circular Polarizer is more important to other kind of digital camera (split beam for example), but if you get one, you are sure it willdo ok with FZ and your next camera, linearjust work with asmall number of digital, It's more to old 35mm.

Other fact is that it's important to get multi-coated lenses (to reduce flare mainly), and after looking for them you will conclude that it's very difficult to find linear polarizers, and much more to find multi-coated ones, Circular multi-coated, are more common (and more expensive also)

look for other thing, back thread as well as front thread, maybe you don't think on that right now, but in the future if you want to stack other filter / lenses it's important

last recommendation...more thin the better, less chance to get vignetting, and more close will be the stacked glass...
jcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 7:16 PM   #6

jcr wrote:
Quote:
Olá Joao Pedro,

It's good to see someone with this kind of name here, where from ??

Looking for a Polarizer also, I've concluded the following

Circular Polarizer is more important to other kind of digital camera (split beam for example), but if you get one, you are sure it willdo ok with FZ and your next camera, linearjust work with asmall number of digital, It's more to old 35mm.

Other fact is that it's important to get multi-coated lenses (to reduce flare mainly), and after looking for them you will conclude that it's very difficult to find linear polarizers, and much more to find multi-coated ones, Circular multi-coated, are more common (and more expensive also)

look for other thing, back thread as well as front thread, maybe you don't think on that right now, but in the future if you want to stack other filter / lenses it's important

last recommendation...more thin the better, less chance to get vignetting, and more close will be the stacked glass...

Bom Dia Jcr,

A Circular Polarizer because of it's design is more prone to flaring.

Spend your money now, on an expensive filter for a camera in the future it most likely will not fit. Do not forget when you but your next camera it must have a 62mm front mount.

Linear polarizes are on Ebay.

Dealer's mark-up circulars more because they have a captive audience.

If you really want to reduce flare on the FZ use your lens hood all the time except for flash. Why do you think Panasonic packed the hood with the camera to make it look pretty and like a Pro?

All zoom lenses are more prone to flaring then fixed focal.

You never want to stack filters unless dealing with colored ones, or special effects. You would stack these with a UV since those are not coated. The front threads are for a lens hood.

Yes, why not buy even more expensive thin filters when I could stack two filters with a hood on a 62mm adapter and get ZERO vignetting at all settings.

Boa Note

Old Feb 10, 2005, 5:34 PM   #7
jcr

Hi, playlong, I can see you knowsome words in Portuguese

let me first say that what I posted yesterday were conclusions based on what i read here on previous post's , not my own experience.

I am on a process to buy a UV filter, a polarizer and a macro to my newly FZ20 + Phayee, and you really confused me a Little more...:?

can you help a little more ? what exactly do you mean by "You would stack these with a UV since those are not coated." witch one is not coated ? I can see UV multi-coated (was thinking on a Hoya S-HMC PRO-1 ) and Polarizer coated on the back surface...

or were you referring to stack an uncoated linear polarizer with a multi-coated uv ?

that was a question I intended to put here today, it occurred to me during the day...does it make sense to spend more money on a multi-coated polarizer to stack on a multi-coated UV, does it do anything better ? anything less ? or is just money on the run...?

I was interested on one with front threads, and i can't find that on linear polarizers, but feel free to recommend a uv and a polarizer if you want (and mention the price if known )
Old Feb 10, 2005, 6:31 PM   #8

jcr wrote:
Quote:
Hi, playlong, I can see you knowsome words in Portuguese

let me first say that what I posted yesterday were conclusions based on what i read here on previous post's , not my own experience.

I am on a process to buy a UV filter, a polarizer and a macro to my newly FZ20 + Phayee, and you really confused me a Little more...:?

can you help a little more ? what exactly do you mean by "You would stack these with a UV since those are not coated." witch one is not coated ? I can see UV multi-coated (was thinking on a Hoya S-HMC PRO-1 ) and Polarizer coated on the back surface...

or were you referring to stack an uncoated linear polarizer with a multi-coated uv ?

that was a question I intended to put here today, it occurred to me during the day...does it make sense to spend more money on a multi-coated polarizer to stack on a multi-coated UV, does it do anything better ? anything less ? or is just money on the run...?

I was interested on one with front threads, and i can't find that on linear polarizers, but feel free to recommend a uv and a polarizer if you want (and mention the price if known )
I am sorry I confused you. I was referring to non-coated special filters such a red, violet and vignette. The UV and LP Liner should never be stacked and should be coated. Buying multicoated filters is an unnecessary expense; you will never see the difference and they like the HMC are very expensive. Hoya standard Series B, in purple packaging has one coating and threads on each side. That plus your lens hood is all you need. BTW forget about the Phayee hood, it is too shallow, I recommend a Hama collapsible one and will shield you pictures up to a zoom of 250mm. Unfortunately there are no hoods on the market today, that cover the entire zoom range, not even the one that came with your camera. I am starting up a new business making a new kind of adapter, tripod mounts and lens shade for the Panasonic zoom family. My adapter will not be ready until the end of March, but I am learning Ebay by selling filters. I cannot say more it would be selling. In the mean time, I suggest the following: If you can get 62mm coated dual or multi for under $22.00US do it. I cannot say anymore. I hope I helped you out.

BTW, I love your country.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 8:15 PM   #9
jcr

don't be sorry when You are helping !

I live to learn, so why should I never stack UV and LP ? I have seen plenty of these...just the "to many glass" thing ? or some other eye visible one ?

In my case the Hoya S-HMC Pro-1 can be bought by $39 (no ship charge because I have other things to come from that site) a regular B series found at $25 but with $14.25 international ship, so not much more expensive..

the more difficult part is the LP, any suggestion on that ?

P.S. : I say Thank You on mycountry behalf and myself :-)
Old Feb 10, 2005, 9:19 PM   #10

Check EbayUSA,search "Hoya Linear"Email me from the site.