Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 9, 2005, 1:17 PM   #11

suze schreef:
Quote:
Wow - I think yours would have been great before the effect - now it's primo! Thanks for the mini tutorial - this will be my project for the evening. :-D
Could you post the results
TimvdVelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 3:14 PM   #12

I'm a big fan of using the history brush in PS for saturation effects...
BoaRd bRYce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 3:23 PM   #13

Is an even easier way to do it.. But you can't make gradients / textures with the history brush. (I used gradient on the feeder in the picture above)
TimvdVelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 4:05 PM   #14

True, but for something like small birds in a tree I've found that I can come closer to the edges of objects using the history brush with different hardness settings than I can with the selection tool unless I adjust to a larger feather, and then I have to reselect the objects each time I readjust the feather value. I guess it's just preference though.

-Bryce
BoaRd bRYce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 4:31 PM   #15

Tim, Here is my first attempt at processing - I used a slightly different photo. I am quite pleased with this but undoubtedly will get better with practice. I also tried this treatment on a totally different photo and the results are not nearly as striking - will post that one as well if thats okay?

Hmmmm - noticed after posting it still needs some work - the bird colors are dull compared to yours. will work on that later.
Attached Images

suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 7:32 PM   #16

Tim - absolutely stunning. Is there a book on PS that is geared toward the simpler things to do with photography? I really need a step 1, step 2, step 3 kind of walk-through. I get so busy that I end up forgetting what I did the last time I used it. Maybe there's a PS for Dummies book out there. Maybe a PS for Complete Imbeciles.

mtritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 9:33 PM   #17

I don't get when Tim say's... "Desaturate the top layer, and erase the parts of the picture (or layer mask) the parts I want in color. "
What tools do I use ?

John G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 9:53 PM   #18

John it is the "History brush" tool.

Once you have desaturated (or "Color mix" with "monocrome option" for more refined greyscale) select the "History brush" in the Photoshop palette (below the pencil, if I am correct). Now go to the "history" panel (in one of those panels like "layers", "actions" which are generally on the right working area of Photoshop) and click on the left in correspondence to the lastchange you have done before "desaturating".

Now you will see that, painting on the picture with the history brush will undo all the changes made onto the image after desaturating, including the latter one: thus the color will be brought back in the areas you paint in with this "undo brush" tool.

Hope to have been clear (but fear not to).

Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 10:05 PM   #19

Narmer,

I have Photoshop Elements and I'm not able to find the
" History Brush " !
John G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 10:29 PM   #20

It is not included in Elements 2, (so I figure out it also lacks in Elements 3).

I was talking about Photoshop (7).

The nice thing is that any process of actions can be done in several ways.

Use the selection tool (or quick mask) to select the few areas you want to leave unaltered (colored). Hold "shift" if you want to ADD selection to other selections.
Now refine the selection (zooming in if there are small details like eye corners) and apply a bit of "feather" selection, to smooth its borders (1-2 pixels is fine depending on the size of the edges).

Now "invert" selection and "desaturate". The image will be greyscale axcept for the previously selected zones.

For more creative greyscale effect, you can use "Channel Mixer" (maybe only in PHs 5-6-7-CS) with monocrome, or the Virtual Photographer plugin.

Francesco
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote