Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 9, 2005, 12:59 PM   #1

Hi again and before I do something stupid, which isn't uncommon, I would like some advice on the TCON-14B, which BTW is a super lens and can be used down to 3x with the FX20 and screwed into the Phayee 62mm adaptor. Super.

Question is how to eliminate stray light. The Contax Metal Hood was suggested and I wondered if anyone had used it or had a better suggestion.

Here is a picture and it unlike a 86mm filter is not $75 but $30 http://www.adorama.com/YSMLH5.html

Also does anyone know if the push cap will fit over a filter if I find one for less than what a used TCON-14B sells for??
mlhm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2005, 4:31 PM   #2

mlhm5 wrote:
Quote:
Hi again and before I do something stupid, which isn't uncommon, I would like some advice on the TCON-14B, which BTW is a super lens and can be used down to 3x with the FX20 and screwed into the Phayee 62mm adaptor. Super.

Question is how to eliminate stray light. The Contax Metal Hood was suggested and I wondered if anyone had used it or had a better suggestion.

Here is a picture and it unlike a 86mm filter is not $75 but $30 http://www.adorama.com/YSMLH5.html

Also does anyone know if the push cap will fit over a filter if I find one for less than what a used TCON-14B sells for??
The optimum use of the Tcon14B lens is above 8.27X shooting below this setting causes inferior picture quality and under magnification. The native Leica lens of 35mm to 420mm, offers the best quality picture.

Use the TCON for zooms above 420mm. Panasonic put a feature, in the menu,called conversion that starts the camera at 6x.You should use it.It sounds like they did a little marketing cheat so that the public would think there is a greater usable zoom range in the LZ10. It should be 8X, which is correct for a 1.5 magnification. One more thing you are better off using your computer software to crop the picture then use the digital zoom. The computer software has more room for code and will do a better job.

Here is the Effect zoom range formula:

(FZ mm max zoom) / TC magnification / FZmm minimum zoom = minimum effective range

420mm/ 1.5/35=8X

Here is the formula 420 / 1.45 /35 = 8.27X

Now that we got that out of the let us, proceed. The 86mm filter is attached directly to the front lens, and then the hood is attached to the filter. You mentioned something about using a push cap; I guess you are referring to the one that came with the lens. I have Bower filters and I cannot get the push cap to fit over them. It is not a problem to me because my custom lens hood has a hood cap.

The hood has no internal or front threads. I think the only way to cap this configuration is with their push on hood cap, which is sold separately. Therefore, your cost is a total is $46.90. plus shipping and any applicable taxes. I called the store and they have one in stock. I left it there for you. I am not in dire need of the hood since I made my own. The hood is 2" deep which is not bad it would have been nice if it were three. I cannot tell if you plan to buy a filter but you should. You should also pick up a filter stack when you remove the filter. I have a UV and PL filter in my stack that fits nicely in the bottom of the Tcon's pouch.

Get it, Got It, Good.
playlong is offline   Reply With Quote