Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 9, 2005, 1:00 PM   #1
RDV

I amusing a trial version of elements 3. Could anyone offer an opinion on cs or 7.0. Thanks
RDV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2005, 1:32 PM   #2

Hi RDV,

In my opinion if your OS is Windows XP, I suggest Photoshop CS. Photoshop CS only run on Windows XPand 2000.

Photoshop CS support some new commands for digital photography:
- Photo Filter...: The Photo Filter command mimics the technique of putting a colored filter in front of the camera lens to adjust the color balance and color temperature of the light transmitted through the lens and exposing the film.

- Shadow/Highlight...: The Shadow/Highlight command is suitable for correcting photos with silhouetted images due to strong backlighting or correcting subjects that have been slightly washed out because they were too close to the camera flash. The adjustment is also useful for brightening up areas of shadow in an otherwise well-lit image.

- Filter Gallery...: You can apply filters cumulatively, and apply individual filters more than once. You can also rearrange filters and change the settings of each filter you've applied to achieve the effect you want.

...and some others conveniences...

Hope this helpful
Basac,

Basac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 2:17 PM   #3

I sure am no expert on any of the programs but it seems to me about the main difference for a novice like me is you don't seem to be able to add actions in Elements3.

PS is much more powerfull program but I do not have the ability to use its full potential. Maybe if I live long enough.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 2:22 PM   #4

If you have XP and the price is the same, go CS.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 2:45 PM   #5

7.0 has lower system requirements and is less expensive (I assume..)

CS hasn't got that many advantages over 7.0. I remember haven't upgraded from 7.0 to CS asking my classmates... hey, whats the difference
There are some functions that are more 'newbie' friendly. And the filter gallery is useful, however I don't ever use those filters because everybody knows them.

If they are almost the same price.. i would go for CS.
TimvdVelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 3:03 PM   #6

I do a bit of graphic/web design and there are many great features in CS. First of all, this is the first version of PS that supports RAW digicam images, which is very useful. There are several new tools that are very useful such as photomerge, which makes stiching a breeze. There are several changes in Imageready as well, but I assume you don't care much for that. I don't recommend installing outdated software. There are some compatability issues if you want to open a psd file that was made in CS. Anther thing about CS is that it supports so many more file types than previous versions. For some reason Adobe never bothered to make photoshop and illustrator's file formats compatible until CS, so for me that is worth it alone. Anyways, I would highly recommend CS, but ultimately it boils down to price.
-Bryce

P.S. Actually, I have found that Elements has just about every photo touching feature that the full version of photoshop has, although some of them are much harder to get to. Many of the features are burried in the programming, but can be accessed through plugins. An example is photoshop's curves method for adjusting levels, which can be added to elements as described here:
http://www.earthboundlight.com/photo...ts-curves.html
BoaRd bRYce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 3:58 PM   #7

The photoshop CS lists for around 640.00 I have seen 7.0 version for under 100.00
rebelpcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 7:25 PM   #8
RDV

Thank you all for your replies and the link. Very helpful!!
RDV is offline   Reply With Quote