Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 9, 2005, 6:14 PM   #1

Is it me? Been fooling around with the Raynox WA adapter. This was shot with just room light, overcast day (very dim in room), neat image to remove noise, B&W filter Tri-X profiles. I know this image isn't perfect, but do see how using a wider lens changes things? Is it my imagination? Boyzo, Nooner, any thoughts?
Attached Images

NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2005, 6:36 PM   #2

... just another B&W test... kid's floor hockey game. Natural light, w the Raynox 6600...

Attached Images

Old Feb 9, 2005, 6:39 PM   #3

Nice picture, butI would move the glases out of the middle.
Stoney79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 7:26 PM   #4

Hockey ! Now thats a sport !

B&W pics are just something else..I like the first pic Nick. Composition to me is fine - I wouldnt know where else to put the specs.

Harj

:|

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 7:47 PM   #5

Couple things... these are just quick snaps, nothing maje. I was sitting at my messy desk and just pointed at something. The 23mm focal length (reg is 35) just changes angles and perspective in a way that make the ordinary more dramatic? Also, I'm noticing that you can go lower with shutter speed and get more consistent clear shots. B&W I've always just prefered, and it's especially good with higher ISO's I think. Noise is less obvious, sorta just "blends in". This big WAC also helps you hold the camera steadier, with your right hand on the grip and left hand holding the camera underneath the barrel.

On the subject of B&W's, I just got my Epson C86, and corresponding gray MIS inks... can't wait to set-up and play this weekend.

Thanks for your comments!
Old Feb 9, 2005, 7:51 PM   #6

Nick......in the first pic I see something a little different about it. I'm not sure what you're seeing. It may be because of +2 ev or DOF?? Can you describe what your feeling is?

I don't know what stoney's talking about.I guess he thought you were worried about composition:O
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 8:22 PM   #7

Hey, Nick. I dont quite know what you mean by "changes things" other than the obviously wider capture (23mm vs 35mm). But if I didnt know you were using the 6600 I probably wouldn't have guessed it. The corners in thehockey shot are as clear as the center with no distortion. I'm amazed at the lack of distortion. Do you happen to have the same shot without the wa attached? I think that might be an excellent demonstration of the fz1/6600 compatability.

I also agree on the wise use of b&w here. Color would just muddy the waters.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 8:59 PM   #8

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
Hey, Nick.¬* I dont quite know what you mean by "changes things" other than the obviously wider capture (23mm vs 35mm).¬* But if I didnt know you were using the 6600 I probably wouldn't have guessed it.¬* The corners in the¬*hockey shot are as clear as the center with no distortion.¬* I'm amazed at the lack of distortion.¬* Do you happen to have the same shot without the wa attached?¬* I think that might be an excellent demonstration of the fz1/6600 compatability.

I also agree on the wise use of b&w here.¬* Color would just muddy the waters.
Hey Fred, Hey Noons, thanks for the feedback. "changes things" is a poor way of articulation, the images just have a different "feel" (hate that term) to them. Difficult to describe. Yes, I'm surprised how sharp the corners are on the basketball shot. Unfortunately, I didn't take one without the WA. I was standing and watching my six year old, so I had no place to put it (other than the floor...)
Old Feb 9, 2005, 9:30 PM   #9

I think there is "something" there...Do you intend to keep it on all the time? What kind of zoom does it limit you to? I'd like to see what it looks like on the camera.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 9:55 PM   #10

nooner wrote:
Quote:
I think there is "something" there...Do you intend to keep it on all the time? What kind of zoom does it limit you to? I'd like to see what it looks like on the camera.

Don't know noons, haven't finished playing with it/testing it out yet. Goal was to get a leica rangefinder quality out of the camera through combo of lenses and software... And get a good cheap black-n-white printing solution. So far I'm impressed with this WA converter more than I had hoped. The rangefinders (I think) went as wide as .18, this is .23 - more than respectable. The more you zoom, the softer the edges get, but if it's acceptable up to 5X consistently, I'm 'kay wit dat. (I would trade the .35 to 12X zoom, for ..18 to 5X zoom in a heartbeat but that's just me...)

Above is the DCR6600 on the FZ-10. Big chunk o' glass but kinda cool lookin'.