Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 9, 2005, 11:25 PM   #1

I am taking an intro to drawing course for school and a homework assignment was to create a still life using fabric, and draw it. In order to preserve it long enough for me to work on it over several days, and in order to help me frame/compose it i decided to take pictures with my brand new fz15 basically threw the towel around my room and took pics for a while. Then looked through and cropped one. It has been auto leveled in PS.
Attached Images

kiwi133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2005, 11:36 PM   #2

I think I might have chosen a moray or silk, something with more highlights/lowlights. Will be lots to draw this texture. from my warped perspective.
shotgunbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 11:41 PM   #3

hehe I'm affraid i don't have silk in my dorm room :G but I know what you mean. I ended up using this stuff because it had the most volume when it sat in a pile

looking past the texture, what about its basic shape? pleasing or uninspireing
kiwi133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 11:48 PM   #4

kiwi133 escribió:
Quote:
I ended up using this stuff because it had the most volume when it sat in a pile

looking past the texture, what about its basic shape? pleasing or uninspireing

mmhhh.... do you want volume and don't have any silk?? Ask a friend (girl of course) to throw arround her lingerie.:idea:

You will get better picts..... or at least more fun :G
msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 11:54 PM   #5

hey, I took drawing up the wazoo @ Parsons and this isn't a bad shape, I think you shouldn't have cut off that top hump looking area, and also had some negative space up above, are you drawing in charcoal? If this is what inspired you, go for it, even if it was the only thing you had in your dorm, so be it. When you draw it, make it your own. I am sure it will come out great. And as far as lingerie and the girls, leave that for your life drawing class!
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 12:14 AM   #6

I like it for what you are trying to do.

The texture will be good practice for fine detail, and the slightness of the contrast will be good practice for subtle shading of varying degrees.

Very good subject for learning art... Well done...

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 3:31 PM   #7

For a good composition and lighting.. here's my 2 cents

Try to have diffuse light. Bounce sunlight or bright light with white paper so the shadows will look half as hard / dark.

When having shapes like this, you get all these bends and turns en round shapes. Try not to crop or cut them of the picture (at the top). But If there is a round shape. try to get the whole shape on the photo.

Taking a photo from a lower perspective makes it look larger and more impressive, if you're afraid of having a wrong background try zooming (blurred background) or an even color wall.

I think you can make this into a nice picture. (maybe duotone would be nice grayscale + light yellow maybe )

TimvdVelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 4:54 PM   #8

Go take a shower. Dry off using the towel. Throw it over the back of a chair haphazardly. Get dressed. Take a few photos. Choose one and draw it. This waythe drawingwill have some kind of story behind it rather than just a lump of cloth.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 7:18 PM   #9

This blanket MUST be destroyed!
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 7:28 PM   #10

why? because it is not edible?:roll:
wise is offline   Reply With Quote