Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 10, 2005, 2:05 PM   #1

Shooting fireworks, IMHO, depends on pure luck. Without a B mode, a black card, a shutter cable and a smaller aperture > f8, it's really hard to capture the exact moment that I want. It's always too early or too late to release the shutter by just using my finger... I got somehow frustrated after a dozen of shoots and use the burst mode instead. Just hold the shutter release and let the camera kept taking pictures - end up with 350+ shoots for the ~15 mintues firework show but sadly only a few of them are "presentable".
Attached Images

akirabbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2005, 2:06 PM   #2

:O
Attached Images

Old Feb 10, 2005, 2:07 PM   #3

:?
Attached Images

Old Feb 10, 2005, 2:08 PM   #4

Attached Images

Old Feb 10, 2005, 2:09 PM   #5

Attached Images

Old Feb 10, 2005, 2:23 PM   #6

Your picts are very nice.

They are not the best fireworks picts I have seen here, but I have no authority to give you any suggestion, I haven't been able to get any firework like yours!!

It is quite difficult!!.
msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 2:26 PM   #7

My few attempts at fireworks with film were dismal at best. In fact, in comparason, these look great. That said, what about a wider aperture and/or faster shutter speed? I think a lot of people make the mistake when taking night shots that a long exposure (2 sec f8 on the one I checked) is required. Light is light is light regardless of it's surroundings. Where you need the longer exposures is where the scene Lacks light. I don't think fireworks fall into that catagory.. I understand that the longer exposures help get the full effect of the explosion but you are using burst mode. A faster shutter may assist in getting THE shot, negate camera movement from wind, or even the percussion of the fireworks (looks like they were pretty loud)..

I realize we (I) don't get much chance to shoot fireworks but that may help. A tripod might help too. I haven't had the chance yet with the digital so I'm just tossing ideas.

Jeff
:|
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 4:59 PM   #8

akirabbq wrote:
Quote:
" . . .but sadly only a few of them are "presentable"."
Akirabbq,

I'd go beyond the word"presentable" and describe them as "fairly good"! Kudos to you for giving it a try.

Consider yourself lucky. You've takensome fairly good firework photos. Most of us (including myself) have none at all.

I have a similar problem when I'm shooting sports/action photos. Like you, I havefoundthat the 'machine-gun method' (bust mode) can yield some good results, ifenough shots are taken.
DeanB is offline   Reply With Quote