Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 11, 2005, 1:40 AM   #1

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum and am trying to get some assistance

After months of researching, I've decided on the FZ-20 and I'm very confident in my choice. Here's the dilemma:

Black or silver? I've read other places that there are potential issues in bright sunlight with the silver model and that at a trade show in Japan, the silver model showed more signs of wear... is thisrumor or fact?

And a new issue that comes with that... a lot of retailers (especially online) are now charging as much as $70 more for the black model -- everyone has the silver in stock, but few have the black in. They have all said they're expecting more in at least1-2 weeks.

Would this indicate that Black is definitely the more popular choice? I personally prefer the black model --Are there any differences between the two?

Call around to some of the discount stores online -- no one has black right now!!! Why would Panasonic let the supply run so short?
smilez03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2005, 2:08 AM   #2

Check your Private Messages..

Jeff
:?
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 2:57 AM   #3

I presume the supply is so short because the demand is so high.

Actually, I don't have a clue, but I do have a silver FZ20 which I have had for almost 2 weeks now and although I probably would have preferred a black model just for the 'coolness' factor I can find absolutely nothing 'wrong' with the silver one. You weren't specific about what kind of problems were reported with the silver in bright sunlight but I've taken at least 500 pictures already, the majority of which were in very bright sun and I can't say I've had a single problem. Since I've only had my camera about 2 weeks I can't speak to the wear issue except to say that 'so far' I've seen no evidence of it.

YMMV.

smilez03 wrote:
Quote:
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum and am trying to get some assistance

After months of researching, I've decided on the FZ-20 and I'm very confident in my choice. Here's the dilemma:

Black or silver? I've read other places that there are potential issues in bright sunlight with the silver model and that at a trade show in Japan, the silver model showed more signs of wear... is thisrumor or fact?

And a new issue that comes with that... a lot of retailers (especially online) are now charging as much as $70 more for the black model -- everyone has the silver in stock, but few have the black in. They have all said they're expecting more in at least1-2 weeks.

Would this indicate that Black is definitely the more popular choice? I personally prefer the black model --Are there any differences between the two?

Call around to some of the discount stores online -- no one has black right now!!! Why would Panasonic let the supply run so short?
beernutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 8:02 AM   #4

smilez03 wrote:
Quote:
I can say from past experience of having the same model of a piece of equipment in both black (dark green, really) and silver, is that the silver shows more wear, even from just normal handling. The plastic usually isn't silver, but only a coating. Once that gets worn away, whatever color under it is visible. Black, on the other hand, is usually the actual color of the plastic.

My wife wanted me to get the silver version because she likes silver equipment - not that she'd ever use the camera. None of the retailers by me had the silver model. In any case, I preferred the black from a wear standpoint.

At a recent trip to the zoo, I spotted a guy with a silver FZ20. It looked very nice, but side by side, I think the black looks better.
mtritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 10:01 AM   #5

I haven't hear about any problem with those having the black one. I personally like (have) the black one, it looks more professional, and most of accessories come in black (filters, lenses, lenshood, flash, etc.)
msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 12:01 PM   #6

to quote myself from another thread:

Quote:
ended up going with the FZ15K since I couldn't get a FZ20K for a reasonable amount more than the FZ15K (reasonable is say $110 for new from a reputable shop)

a contributing factor is that there's always something new right around the corner and once the new models in THIS series (probably stick with them once I learn this one a bit. unless a competitor really is a significant improvement over the pana's at that time) come out with updates or improvements I'll consider them. (or even the FZ5, although I think the next version of the large body with manual focus will be more to my liking)

then hopefully the addition of sound recording will include a higher resolution video, lower ISO or noise reduction not at a cost of detail or pixles along with the hot shoe.

then either sell the FZ15 used on e-bay or give it to my daughter who will be starting university come fall.

I wasn't willing to wait (can't) nor to pay $150 more for a BLACK FZ20 NEW from a REPUTABLE SOURCE over a FZ15.
KoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 12:10 PM   #7

Black $513 (silver $485) at http://dbuys.com/index.cfm?fuseactio...roduct_id=3573 Seems to be in stock.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 12:53 PM   #8
al1

black or silver is'nt the problem concerning the look of your digicam.
the main fact is that silver reflects the light and in bright lighting your camera might reflect the sun towards your subject :|and interfere in the shot; this is why most professionals use black cameras outdoors.

nothing more, it DOES NOT CHANGE ANYTHING on the quality of the picture on normal conditions nor when it is cold or hot outside.

:cart:
bye then
Alain
al1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 1:19 PM   #9

Thanks for all the help so far -- these forums are great!

$513 seems like a fair price -- but I hear of many people getting the camera for $460-ish...

I guess I could wait it out another week - "The Gates" in central park in nyc start tomorrow for 16 days and I really want to photograph this! So cant wait too long!!!!
smilez03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 5:11 PM   #10

Check out the NYC camera stores. 42nd St Photo web site has the fz20 for $500. You want the pics bad enough, pay the money.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote