Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 11, 2005, 3:06 AM   #1

Was walking around the city yesterday, and tried a few candid shots. Not easy, as I'm a little uncomfortable photoing people without them knowing. I'm obviously not the sleuthing type. Some noise in them, but I thought it looked like it belonged. Cheers......thekman.
Attached Images

thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2005, 3:08 AM   #2

Lots of people always checking their watches....
Attached Images

Old Feb 11, 2005, 3:09 AM   #3

Last one...
Attached Images

Old Feb 11, 2005, 7:41 AM   #4

1-2-3 freekin' excellent.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 12:12 PM   #5

Thanks Nick. I shot these at Normal on the z20. Wanted to see what kind of resolution it has on that setting. Pictures seemed a little noisier, but not too much. Notice it when you start to edit more than anything. Cheers.....thekman.
Old Feb 11, 2005, 12:33 PM   #6

thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
Was walking around the city yesterday, and tried a few candid shots. Not easy, as I'm a little uncomfortable photoing people without them knowing. I'm obviously not the sleuthing type. Some noise in them, but I thought it looked like it belonged. Cheers......thekman.
The Pictures are very interesting but are a bit soft, was that intentional? I like two and three the best. If they were mine, I would push the contrast a bit in PP. The noise is fine it adds to the quality.

What setting did you use ISO, Fstop, speed, contrast, sharpness and saturation?

c
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 12:45 PM   #7

none of them are actually focues.

If you did this on purpose to soften it then thats why, but black and white pics are known for their sharpness.
Because they are out of focus or too softened, the quality has degraded on the compositions quite drastically. I would like to see the originilas if you made any adjustments.

but very good subjects though
Rezajune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 12:52 PM   #8

LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
The Pictures are very interesting but are a bit soft, was that intentional? I like two and three the best. If they were mine, I would push the contrast a bit in PP. The noise is fine it adds to the quality.

What setting did you use ISO, Fstop, speed, contrast, sharpness and saturation?

c
I thought they were soft too, sharpened them a bit in ps, and added some contrast and cropped. They were all taken at 72mm at f/5.2. Shutter on the first was 1/1300, the second 1/160, and the last one 1/50. The last 2 were in lower light, and I think the iso was at 200, if not then 100. The first one was in sunshine. Contrast, sharpening were standard, saturation high, and noise low. First time I've tried some b & w. Seems more contrast is needed, and a steadier hand too. MIght try using a burst next time so as to raise the chances of getting a sharper shot. Still pretty amazing to me to get a hand held at 72mm and 1/50 that's useable. Should have used f/2.8 too, but these were off the cuff, and I'm not that quick doing the settings changes.I appreciate the useful input.Cheers.....thekman.
Old Feb 11, 2005, 12:59 PM   #9

Rezajune wrote:
Quote:
none of them are actually focues.

If you did this on purpose to soften it then thats why, but black and white pics are known for their sharpness.
Because they are out of focus or too softened, the quality has degraded on the compositions quite drastically. I would like to see the originilas if you made any adjustments.

but very good subjects though
I agree, they are soft. Not done on purpose. More my inadequacies at handheld shots. I'll have to work on my steadiness technique, or give up coffee. I don't keep originals unless it's an exceptional shot, and these aren't that. I thought the subjects were good, but on a technical aspect, I deserve a ripping. Cheers......thekman.
Old Feb 11, 2005, 2:41 PM   #10

like I said great subject and I wish they were more focused...but to me there is a difference between soft and out of focus
Rezajune is offline   Reply With Quote