Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 11, 2005, 6:15 AM   #1

I am attaching 3 images of a church (St. Lazarus Church, Chennai, India). The Church is more than 3 km away, to the east. I shot pics one in the morning, one soon after noon and one late in the afternoon. All were full zoom, no tripod! Morning was misty, so the first pic is not very clear.

Attached Images

Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2005, 6:16 AM   #2

noon pic:
Attached Images

Old Feb 11, 2005, 6:17 AM   #3

evening pic:
Attached Images

Old Feb 11, 2005, 10:52 AM   #4

Hey Raghu...nice pics but to be honest man....none of them are clear. Do you just shoot in auto mode or do you read up on different settings and try them out? Remember that there are lots of information out there for beginners, just be willing to read and learn.

The FZ20 isa decent point and shoot but its strength lies in the fact that it gives you somuch room to learn and grow...that other point and shoots do not give you. The FZ's are popular because as a beginner you can learn how different aspects of photography can be applied but make sure to experiment.

Most people will stay away from digital zoom because it degrades picture quality, as you can tell from you shots. The edges are blurry and not sharp. If you need more zoom I would recommend a telephoto lens, as opposed to using digital zoom.

Just some tips that i learned as a newbie :-)

seth
indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 11:10 AM   #5

Good subject to shoot.

The look of these photographs would not make this a good example of what this camera can do.

The digital zoom aspect has been a selling point for digicams and in my opinion I don't even look at that as an option for telezoom. I have seen great use of it in macro shots coupled with some other lenses by nzmacro.

I would turn it off and look at the other possibilities for extending your camera's telezoom capabilities.

Linear (or more expensivecircular)polarizer, pemeraal adapter (can also get one through photosolve.com) and a Olympus tcon 14b.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 12:12 PM   #6

These picture are of no use / worth without the original picture without zoom. Why did you post them? What is the purpose ?
TimvdVelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 1:01 PM   #7

Raghu,

I hope you were looking for comments on these images, because that's what you are getting. As some have mentioned in other threads, Zoooooming can be addictive. If you have them time, go back to the same spot and take the same image at 12x and also 24x. Then compare all nine images side by side. I think you will be much happier with the second attempt. At 12x you would still be able to crop down some and get a good clean print or online view of the subject area you show in these images.

Keep experimenting, and have fun with it. By the way you are using an FZ3 correct?

-Brett
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 7:30 PM   #8

Yes. it is FZ3. I posted the images only to show how the camera captures images at 48x zoom. I am sureuse of tripod would have got better images, even at 48x zoom. Thanks for all the feedback, folks. I will keep experimenting and will try to post only good ones - pl excuse me if in my excitement I post some like these.
Old Feb 11, 2005, 9:55 PM   #9

When experimenting be sure to bracket your f settings too. At first try every setting you can, then you get a better fell for what such adjustments bring.
pschooley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 12:43 PM   #10

Hi! I see you mention getting a tcon 14B for the FZ20. I really would like to purchase this particular lens, but I'm not sure what type of adapter would work with it (I'm pretty new to this). You mention a pemeraal adaptor - is it a certin model number or anything that you need with that lens so that it works with the FZ20? Thanks!
ride16 is offline   Reply With Quote