Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 11, 2005, 10:17 AM   #1

recently ordered one, and I need to know if it can accept filters.
I need to know if I should get a new lense cap, since I don't like it the way it is now, where the cap is placed on the UV filter (62 mm/Phayee adapter)
if it can accept filters/caps (if it's got outer threads) ,what dia should I get? I currently only have a 62 mm cap , and the original pana one which appears to be smaller dia..
The hama hood I ordered is the 72mm zoom one.
http://www.hama.co.uk/product.asp?pr...&sectionid=145
doesn't say anywhere I've looked on the net, if it can accept filters or not.

anybody know?

thanks in advance,

Amir
Amiroquai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2005, 11:00 AM   #2

Amir,

It looks like you are buying the lot forthis camera. I don't have a Hama collapsible hood. I believe you already have tried the search function. In the filters thread there is some information in what you seek. The hood is only effective to about 210mm in the telezoom range. Stacking filters and the like will diminish the quality of the picture you are trying to take.

A suggestion was made by LoveLife and I agreed with it. Take pictures and not worry so much about the hardware add-ons.

How about sharing a picture or two while you are collecting your arsenal of add-ons?

That was an attempt a humor. Good luck in finding an answer from someone who actually has information on this hood first hand.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 11:21 AM   #3

I have the Hama hood which I have attached to the 72mm Phayee extension. You want to attach any filters to the 62mm portion of the Phayee or a 62mm UV filter (if you have one)- not the hood.

When I ordered my Phayee I also ordered the 72mm lense cap. I use this cap when the hood is attached. It just fits ok - not perfect.
jhbaker3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 11:27 AM   #4

Hey
Thanks for the reply
I've only gotten stuff I think is really necessary for the camera.
I was just asking all those other questions out of curiousity.
I've been taking it slow , don't worry
All I have as of now is a phayee adapter and a UV filter to protect the lense, I'm no getting anything else after this hood.
I was asking about outer filter threads in this question not so I could stack up filters but so I could just place a lense cap on it .
I don't like it at my current setup ,where the cap is placed on the filter itself (it's already come in contact with it while I was quickly trying to put it on)
the original Panasonic hood is annoying to deal with (keeps moving and fall off of the adapter .
I want a hood that would be on at all times since most of my pictures are going to be taken outdoors , and that would be firmly positioned in it's place.
the collapsible hama hood seems really convenient.
besides, I've ordered it from this Israeli online camera store for just $13/free shipping brand new it was also the last one they had...

I'm enclosing my VERY FIRST picture taken with the camera from about 3 meters away while sitting on my bed reading the manual:G
this is a straight out the camera picture /manual focus/iso 100/yellow rooms lighting(set white manually
slight color cast, I know ( maybe I should have adjusted the from red to blue thing a little towards the blue)
but I'm pretty pleased with it , great optical zoom
Attached Images

Old Feb 11, 2005, 11:33 AM   #5

jhbaker3 wrote:
Quote:
I have the Hama hood which I have attached to the 72mm Phayee extension. You want to attach any filters to the 62mm portion of the Phayee or a 62mm UV filter (if you have one)- not the hood.

When I ordered my Phayee I also ordered the 72mm lense cap. I use this cap when the hood is attached. It just fits ok - not perfect.
good enough for me
thanks
Old Feb 11, 2005, 4:30 PM   #6

jhbaker3 wrote:
Quote:

I have an FZ15, and also bought the Phayee adapter and Hama hood for it. I went a slightly different route with my setup. I only use the first section of my Phayee, then attach my 62mm filter(my uv is on all of the time...unless I'm using my polarizer--then I swap out the filters) to the Phayee, and then attach my 62mm Hama rubber hood to the filter. I bought a tethered 62mm lens cap, which I got from Rong Jin when I bought my Phayee...but found that the tether "eyelet" on the lens cap prevents that side of the cap to secure properly to the Hama....so I cut the eyelet off, removed the tether, and bought one of those $1.95 lens leashes from my local Ritz camera shop. Instead of attaching to an eyelet, the "leash"/tether has an adhesive-backed button on one end, that adheres to the front of the lens cap, allowing the cap to secure properly and completely to the Hama hood....it works perfectly!

So here's my setup in a cheesy diagram:

FZ15>Phayee first section>62mm filter>62mm Hama hood>62mm cap

Oh, and I was told by the folks at B&H that their 72mm Hama accepts a 77mm filter, and their 62mm Hama accepts a 67mm filter...but they advised, as did jhbaker3, NOT to attach any filter AFTER the hood....

'Hope this helps....good luck, and have fun with your camera!

Geoff
sukispop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 6:42 PM   #7

Hi Geoff,

Great idea for modifyinfg the lense cap to fit on the Hama hood. Now I can modify my 72mm cap to fit perfectly.

Thanks,

John
jhbaker3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 2:26 PM   #8

jhbaker3 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Geoff,

Great idea for modifyinfg the lense cap to fit on the Hama hood.* Now I can modify my 72mm cap to fit perfectly.

Thanks,

John
Hi John,

You're welcome! The only possible issue that you may confront, using one of these "lens cap leashes", is that the tether/"leash" may not be quite long enough to reach the front of the lens cap, after covering the length of your Leica lens barrel/Phayee adapter(both sections)/Hama hood combo. It seems that these "lens cap leashes" come in two styles: 1) One that has a plastic filament at the camera end, that is looped and secured through the camera strap eyelet(this is the style that I have)
2) One that has a nylon loop at the camera end, that is looped around the base of the lens barrel--this style doesn't have to reach quite as far to get to the front of the lens cap, and may work better for your application.
--if neither of these are long enough, then you could simply go to a crafts or hobby shop, and purchase a sufficient length of strong nylon thread or line, and fashion your own "leash"--

My suggestion would be for you to bring your FZ with you to your local camera shop, and then you can be sure that the leash will be long enough to work for you....

Here's a link to a webpage from Wolf Camera, that sells these leashes:
http://www.wolfcamera.com/webapp/wcs...eashes&x=0&y=0

Good luck, John! Take care....

Geoff
sukispop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 3:59 PM   #9

The Hama collapsible hood MUST be destroyed!
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 4:01 PM   #10

NickTrop schreef:
Quote:
The Hama collapsible hood MUST be destroyed!
Hey... I run a Hama collapsible hood junkyard. They can all be send to me!! :G
TimvdVelde is offline   Reply With Quote