Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 11, 2005, 9:22 PM   #1

So I finally got my new FZ15 out to shoot something other than a towel...

The sunset and moon from the the top of lot6 by the Comcast Center at University of MD College Park

The sunset ended up being a bit dull (the one yesterday was soooo killer but I didn't have the camera with me)

I mostly played around settings for the moon, because I've never had so much focal lenght before! :G I will try again when it is full I think.
So, I found that I had to go to at least F5 before the red boarder around the moons edge faded. I also discovered that iso 200 was quite good! I didn't even try 400 at the time because I was expecting it would be unusable, but next time I'll try. I was prefocusing with the slider before taking the shots (handheld through my car window)

Here is the best sunset one :yawn:
Attached Images

kiwi133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2005, 9:24 PM   #2

The top is iso64 f5.6 1/30 second

The bottom is iso200 f5.2 1/50 sec

the top is a little blue because the sky still was when I started (note to self, next time be patient :? )

100% crops btw
Attached Images

Old Feb 11, 2005, 9:28 PM   #3

Nice sunset colors!
pschooley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 2:43 PM   #4

Quick question, would there actually be a repeatable and significant improvement in sharpness if I turned off IS and used a tripod?
Old Feb 12, 2005, 2:45 PM   #5

I don't think so because the stabilizer is optical and not digital. But I've never heard anything of less quality with stabilizers... al the most expansive canon lensen have IS so I don't think so.. but if there is any.. I'd like to know :G
TimvdVelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 3:27 PM   #6

kiwi133 wrote:
Quote:
Quick question, would there actually be a repeatable and significant improvement in sharpness if I turned off IS and used a tripod?
According to several reviews of the FZ20 (so I'm guessing the FZ15 would be the same) it was suggested that when you use the camera on a tripod you should turn the OIS off. For whatever reason it seems to fight with itself or gets confused. Besides if you are on a tripod you don't really need the OIS anyway. From my own experience it seemed that the pictures I took of the moon were sharper when I turned the OIS off. The next time you shoot moon shots try it both ways and see if you think it makes a difference.

All the best,
smac
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 9:57 PM   #7

Well I sure wouldn't know the top was hand held OIS on, bottom was ois off on a tripod.

It was a little hazy out as you can see around the moon

both were iso100 f7.3 1/80 sec 100% crops unmodified
Attached Images

Old Feb 16, 2005, 10:12 PM   #8

Hehe, I also never realized the :? lighting on the road. Would be a nice pic except for the car in the distance and the frame is clipped by the parking garage ledge (steadied camera on for the long exposure)
Attached Images