Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 12, 2005, 10:39 AM   #1

Alot of my flash shots turn out dark and yellowish. The attached pic was all auto. It was a test shot I took in between the photographers shots. I decided not to use the flash. I wish I could have. On my old camera(sony DSC-85) most of my flash shots turned out great. The second pic is with no flash.
Attached Images

bblick65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2005, 10:57 AM   #2

Second Pic
Attached Images

Old Feb 12, 2005, 11:45 AM   #3

One thing i need to add. These were shot in fluorescent lights. Come to think of, most of the bad flash shots I have had have been in fluorsecnt lights.
Old Feb 12, 2005, 12:37 PM   #4

the fluorescent lighting is what makes your pics greenish-yellow. the FZ'z allow you to manually set white balance, which would help this problem. the manual will tell you how to set the WB for the lighting you're using, and that should reduce the tinting effect of the fluorescent lights if you aren't using a flash.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 12:38 PM   #5

You solved your own problem .

Anyway.. I don't know who you got this results. But the lighting conditions seem good enough for making photos without flash. I always prefer photos without flash. And whenI do make a photo with flash.. I manually set the whitebalance with a greycard, that way I always get natural colors.

TimvdVelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 9:29 PM   #6

I think I may know what happened besides the white balance issue. The photographer had a slave flash on an umbrella. Could it have went off and messed my exposure up?
Old Feb 13, 2005, 7:45 AM   #7

If your flash was firing the slave, if anything, it should have helped you. The strobe probably throws far more light than the overhead flourecants. Of course, it could still have been a WB issue.

For future reference, I found that Tims' advice in another thread about using a lower shutter speed 1/15 or so, at shutter priority, with the flash improved things tremendously.

Jeff
:|
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 8:13 AM   #8

The reason I was asking about the slave was because I had read that most digital cameras send out a pre-flash(not talking about red eye reduction) to set white balance. And the pre-flash would fire the slave and have alot of light for the camera to set exposure settings, but the slave would not go off when the picture was actually taken. That is why you would have to have a special digital slave flash for digital cameras. I'm pretty sure the FZ20 does this. Does anybody know for sure?:?:

http://www.shortcourses.com/how/slave/slave.htm