Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 12, 2005, 3:55 PM   #1

Today took a wander to Thornbury Castle and the adjacent church, of course toting my FZ20 This posting is a few pics of the castle - I will follow it with another of the walls surrounding the grounds as they are lovely. :G.
Edward Stafford, the third Duke of Buckingham, received a royal licence to build this 'fortified manor' or castle-palace in 1510. Work started the following year but stopped in 1521 when the Duke was executed on trumped-up charges of treason. In 1535 King Henry VIII and his second wife, Anne Boleyn, stayed here. Princess Mary, later Queen Mary I, also lived here for several years.Today, much still remains of the original 16th century building which is used as a hotel. The church, located just outside the castle walls, is still in use.
Attached Images

suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2005, 3:55 PM   #2

Attached Images

Old Feb 12, 2005, 3:56 PM   #3

Attached Images

Old Feb 12, 2005, 3:57 PM   #4

Attached Images

Old Feb 12, 2005, 3:58 PM   #5

Nice sharp clean colorfull pictures. Compositions are great. I'd like to have #3 postersize in my bedroom

To bad the sky wasn't blue. 9 out of 10. If these were taken with a blue sky 9.5 out of 10.
TimvdVelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 4:12 PM   #6

Thanks very much Tim. On the blue skies - This is England!! A few hours withoutrain alone is cause for celebration here this time of year - blue skies would be heaven. You are right though - when summer finally does arrive I'll be sure to go back there for another set of photos. A bonus will be that the gardens will be in bloom then and many of the walls will be covered in ivy. There is also a very small vineyard on the grounds which I did not photograph today since it looks pretty dismal right now. :-)
Old Feb 12, 2005, 4:16 PM   #7

suze schreef:
Quote:
On the blue skies - This is England!!
Hmm.. true. We are neighbours -> same problem over here in Holland :sad:
Old Feb 12, 2005, 4:22 PM   #8

Is it my screen or do I see a hint of blue sky in the first pic ?
Wonder if you had a polarizer or UV filter might of helped.
John G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 4:29 PM   #9

Polarizer only works with clear sky (no haze or mist). And it would also filter out the nice reflections on the windows. UV filter doesn't change anything :?

Old Feb 12, 2005, 4:29 PM   #10

I do have a polarizer John, but didn't use it since I had the Wcon-08 WA converter on nearly the entire time. I suppose it could have gone on first, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to adjust that way . . .. hmm, will have to try that.:O Another problem was it was windly and the clouds were moving likeFerraris - the blue skies were very intermittent which would in turn would require lots of adjustment on my part. (I was chewing gum at the time also so was extremely limited with what else I could fit in ). The great part is that Ionly live a half hour from the castle so I'll be back, hopefully on a sunny day!