Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 12, 2005, 6:44 PM   #11

Sharpness and contrast have been increased very well. But I like the original colors better...
TimvdVelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 8:31 AM   #12

TimvdVelde wrote:
Quote:
Sharpness and contrast have been increased very well. But I like the original colors better...
This actually leads to me to a question that I have: What is the normal or most regularly used functions in PP ? For instance, is it always, auto-level, auto-color, contrast, brightness, sharpnessand out the door? I'm not looking for a list of things that you would always do, but a list of things that you normally do to enhance the original shot without actually changing it (no fancy-schmancy PhotoShop trickery).

And while I brought up PhotpShop, all of my pictures in PS appear much darker than what they really are, so brightness adjustments I make look great within the program, but really throw the whole picture off kilter outside of it.

Any suggestions, folks?

Thanks!

mtritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 11:58 AM   #13

The PP photos appear to have greater depth besides the stand out color. Very nicely done. To my eyes they are not over-processed.

By the way, love your Bill Shatner avatar. Here's a shot of him at rehearsal, before makeup :arrow::evil:
Attached Images

guaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 12:40 PM   #14

I hardly use auto functions in photoshop. I've made the pictures the way I wan't them (color tone) and all there is to do is sharpening and levels (manually). But thats IMO
TimvdVelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 2:07 PM   #15

guaz wrote:
Quote:
The PP photos appear to have greater depth besides the stand out color. Very nicely done. To my eyes they are not over-processed.

By the way, love your Bill Shatner avatar. Here's a shot of him at rehearsal, before makeup :arrow::evil:
:lol::lol::lol: That's so cruel! And terribly funny. Thanks.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 2:21 PM   #16

mtritt wrote:
Quote:
TimvdVelde wrote:
Quote:
This actually leads to me to a question that I have:* What is the normal or most regularly used functions in PP ?* For instance, is it always, auto-level, auto-color, contrast, brightness, sharpness*and out the door?* I'm not looking for a list of things that you would always do, but a list of things that you normally do to enhance the original shot without actually changing it (no fancy-schmancy PhotoShop trickery).

And while I brought up PhotpShop, all of my pictures in PS appear much darker than what they really are, so brightness adjustments I make look great within the program, but really throw the whole picture off kilter outside of it.

Any suggestions, folks?

Thanks!

For my part I agree with Tim, If the natural colors look good then don't mess with them any more than necessary. Since I am new to Photoshop Elements I have been experimenting with the settings to see what they will do. As I have adjusted my most recent pictures there have been several that I noticed came out a little more intense than the natural color. Not extreme but just had a little more punch. As I do this more and more my goal is to just nudge the settings, sharpness, saturation, contrast so that the pictures look natural but just a bit brighter. My routine and this is just me experimenting by trial and error, is to first deal with any noise. Second, to crop, usually to 8x10 without reducing the size of the picture if possible. Then use the manual enhance to my liking including any brightness and contrast adjustments. Usually only -3 to -6 brightness reduction and a matching +3 to +6 increasing contrast. Finally, I use UnSharpen Mask and adjust those settings to my satisfaction. When I am lucky I don't have to sharpen at all.

That's my routine. As I say I am still learning. Hopefully my pictures don't look synthetic or un-natural. I am sure I have overdone it on occasion but, that's what you guys are for, To tell me when I have go over the top.

Good luck and the best way is learn by doing,

smac
Old Feb 13, 2005, 2:57 PM   #17

Quote:
For my part I agree with Tim, If the natural colors look good then don't mess with them any more than necessary. Since I am new to Photoshop Elements I have been experimenting with the settings to see what they will do. As I have adjusted my most recent pictures there have been several that I noticed came out a little more intense than the natural color. Not extreme but just had a little more punch. As I do this more and more my goal is to just nudge the settings, sharpness, saturation, contrast so that the pictures look natural but just a bit brighter. My routine and this is just me experimenting by trial and error, is to first deal with any noise. Second, to crop, usually to 8x10 without reducing the size of the picture if possible. Then use the manual enhance to my liking including any brightness and contrast adjustments. Usually only -3 to -6 brightness reduction and a matching +3 to +6 increasing contrast. Finally, I use UnSharpen Mask and adjust those settings to my satisfaction. When I am lucky I don't have to sharpen at all.

That's my routine. As I say I am still learning. Hopefully my pictures don't look synthetic or un-natural. I am sure I have overdone it on occasion but, that's what you guys are for, To tell me when I have go over the top.

Good luck and the best way is learn by doing,

smac
Just the other day I was browsing through some tips for Photoshop users and ran across one titled, "Just say 'NO' to Brightness and Contrast in Photoshop." As a relative novice with photoediting, I was curious about this. I use Brightness and Contrast fairly often, so I checked out the article. It's short and to the point and essentially recommends abandoning the use of Brightness and Contrast in favor of Levels and other tweaks. Here's the link: http://www.earthboundlight.com/photo...-contrast.html

The next tip, chronologically, is a little tutorial on using Levels (http://www.earthboundlight.com/photo...els-1-2-3.html).

BTW, I admire the photos you post and in no way see myself anywhere near your level of expertise with the camera or photoediting software. It's just that your mention of using Brightness and Contrast brought this tip to my mind and I thought I'd share it. Regards, Bill
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 5:22 PM   #18

Bill Porter wrote:
[quote]
Quote:
Just the other day I was browsing through some tips for Photoshop users and ran across one titled, "Just say 'NO' to Brightness and Contrast in Photoshop." As a relative novice with photoediting, I was curious about this. I use Brightness and Contrast fairly often, so I checked out the article. It's short and to the point and essentially recommends abandoning the use of Brightness and Contrast in favor of Levels and other tweaks. Here's the link: http://www.earthboundlight.com/photo...-contrast.html

The next tip, chronologically, is a little tutorial on using Levels (http://www.earthboundlight.com/photo...els-1-2-3.html).

BTW, I admire the photos you post and in no way see myself anywhere near your level of expertise with the camera or photoediting software. It's just that your mention of using Brightness and Contrast brought this tip to my mind and I thought I'd share it. Regards, Bill
Bill, thank you very much. I appreciate the link. I am, by no means, ANY KIND of expert when it comes to Post processing. I am eager to read anything I can to understand how to better use this process.

Muchas Gracias,

Steve