Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 12, 2005, 8:26 PM   #1

Hi guys

Read things here and on other sources that a UV lens is required. This is purely for protection? However does this not 'affect' the performance of the 'actual' lens (degradation etc)? Can anyone recommend a decent (not cheap but reasonably priced) one? ...I'm in the UK

Also what about polarizing lenses? Do I need to purchase additional adapters to fit the UV lens to the FZ20? And finally, do you have to get a different lens cap to protect the UV lens or will the cap that comes with the cam fit the bill?

Many many thanks indeed

Craig
ras2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2005, 8:45 PM   #2

You'll need to protect the lens on FZ20 and there's no point in putting anything thats not up to standard infront of that lens. The first thing you should do before getting any filters is get one of the third party adapters for the FZ's

Check the FZ10 and adapters section on Dr. Shene's website http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/

I got a permaraal PA62 (metal 62mm adapter) and a lot of others have the raynox and Phayee.

For filters your going to need:

Ultra Violet (UV), Neutral Density (ND) and a Linear polarising filters.

Hoya and Tiffen make good quality filters at a reasonable price. The UV filter thats been really recommended is Hoya Super HMC Pro 1 UV. The 62mm version costs about £35 and the 72mm £46.00 from Jacobs and £5-10 on each of those if you get them from Jessops but Jessops will price match.

Here's a previous thread which will help you

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...63&forum_id=23

Hope that helps

Harj

:idea:
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 9:20 PM   #3

That's brilliant Harj, thanks a million mate. The Phayee. adapter looks excellent and it also serves as a lens hood which is cool. However, what are the cons of mounting the filter further away from the lens (if any)?

Craig
Old Feb 12, 2005, 10:52 PM   #4

I don't necessarily agree that you need protection for the lens. I've had my FZ10 since it was first released and the lens coating is still perfect. I take it out in my boat often and have to clean salt spray from it. The lens coating is harder than some people think.

Someone pointed out that you might do damage in a strong wind on a beach, or someplace similar with blowing sand. Unless it was a gale I doubt it would damage the lens coating unless you wiped it without blowing all the sand off or brushing it off with a soft make-up brush. And you would want to do that with a filter as well. The lens shade protects the lens pretty well in most circumstances. I do pay special care to not scratch the lens when I have the lens shade off for flash shots.

I don't disagree that some filters are desirable. I just don't think the camera needs protection in most cases. And an extra piece of glass doesn't do much harm if it is high quality, but a UV filter doesn't do anything good either.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 10:58 PM   #5

I'm a "newbie" but I have to say it was the first thing on out of the box. I'd rather replace a scratch filter. I bought the camera, filters, extra battery, a pair of 512 cards, card reader, ect. By far the best investment was a filter. Anything can happen - I've thrown away plenty of scratched filters from the 35mm. Trust what they tell you.
shotgunbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 10:59 PM   #6

Imho, a lens shade is a more useful addition if the camera can take one. It blocks stray light and sticking out from the lens deflects some of the crud floating around.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 5:11 AM   #7

thanks everybody, this forum is exceedingly helpful! I think I may opt for the phayhee (think that's how its spelt) type as this has a kind of built in hood (comes in 2 sections)

Craig
Old Feb 13, 2005, 11:15 AM   #8

Ras2a

Have a good read on what Dr Shene says on his site about the original using filters with the original Pana hood for the FZ10, I think it still applies to the FZ15/20 as well but I may be wrong as Panasonc redsigned the lens hood for the FZ15/20.

Harj
:?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 12:58 PM   #9

When shopping for a polarizer it is good to know that you can use a linear style with our camera. Not only are they a bit lower priced, but the results can be better.

Search the forum for this topic and you will find a great deal of info.

The UV filter apparently has greater functional value (UV filtering) at high elevations, below 4000' it serves as a lens protector. I have read comments of UV/Hazr filters being helpful too.
pschooley1 is offline   Reply With Quote