Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 13, 2005, 11:34 AM   #11

Sorry, Nick. I didnt quite read the captions. I thought ALL the shots were taken with the 6600 attached. So these shots pretty much tell the story.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2005, 4:17 PM   #12

Nick.........Saw an exhibit of this guy at the University in Santa Barbara. I thought of you. He was into WA and BW. See what you think :arrow:
http://www.masters-of-photography.co...articles1.html
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2005, 4:24 PM   #13

nooner wrote:
Quote:
Nick.........Saw an exhibit of this guy at the University in Santa Barbara. I thought of you. He was into WA and BW. See what you think :arrow:
http://www.masters-of-photography.co...articles1.html
Yes! Yes! Yes! Wide is where it's at, and foresaken by most photographers in favor of glitzier telephoto capabilities. (Telephoto, like "Trix" are for kids...) I Gotta bust but I absoltely will check out this work! Thanks X 1000 noons!
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2005, 8:54 PM   #14

Nicktrop, I see that you took this pics across the whole zoom range using the WA lens. Question - do you use the "converter" menu in setup when using the lense? Secondly, I just got my FZ20 today and was looking though the manual some. In the options section it says with the Panasonic WA lens you set it up in the menu and it is only good for 1 to 2X zoom? Do you or someone here know if this is true. Appreciate any help.. Thanks, Gerry
ggw2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2005, 11:46 PM   #15

ggw2000 wrote:
Quote:
Nicktrop, I see that you took this pics across the whole zoom range using the WA lens.* Question - do you use the "converter" menu in setup when using the lense? Secondly, I just got my FZ20 today and was looking though the manual some. In the options section it says with the Panasonic WA lens you set it up in the menu and it is only good for 1 to 2X zoom? Do you or someone here know if this is true. Appreciate any help.. Thanks, Gerry
Gerry, sorry if this wasn't clear. The shots were not all taken with the WA lens. Only the last picture was. Most WA's do not do a good job at zoom through. The Raynox is only good for 1-2X before the edges become very soft and blurry. This is probably also true of the Panasonic. The only one I know of that has good zoom through capabilities, is the Raynox DCR 720 (.72X) but it has barrel distortion at the wide end. This is very correctable with PS plugins like Pana Tools (free).
Old Feb 14, 2005, 11:58 PM   #16

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
ggw2000 wrote:
Quote:
Nicktrop, I see that you took this pics across the whole zoom range using the WA lens. Question - do you use the "converter" menu in setup when using the lense? Secondly, I just got my FZ20 today and was looking though the manual some. In the options section it says with the Panasonic WA lens you set it up in the menu and it is only good for 1 to 2X zoom? Do you or someone here know if this is true. Appreciate any help.. Thanks, Gerry
Gerry, sorry if this wasn't clear. The shots were not all taken with the WA lens. Only the last picture was. Most WA's do not do a good job at zoom through. The Raynox is only good for 1-2X before the edges become very soft and blurry. This is probably also true of the Panasonic. The only one I know of that has good zoom through capabilities, is the Raynox DCR 720 (.72X) but it has barrel distortion at the wide end. This is very correctable with PS plugins like Pana Tools (free).

I do not understand this fascination with trying g to zoom a WA. The only good results should be 2x and under. Similarly I do not under stand why people consistently under zoom a telephoto extension lens. IE Tcon 14b should be used an 8.5x and above. Can you explain this to me?

BTW, the DCR6600Pro is the best WA that Raynox has to offer.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 12:28 AM   #17

LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
I do not understand this fascination with trying g to zoom a WA. *The only good results should be 2x and under. Similarly I do not under stand why people consistently under zoom a telephoto extension lens. IE Tcon 14b should be used an 8.5x and above. Can you explain this to me? BTW, the DCR6600Pro is the best WA that Raynox has to offer.
Respectfully disagree. Zoom-through gives you great versitility. You're a film SLR guy. Isn't a fixed lens that goes from .25 to 300mm a good thing? While you don't have the full 12X Lumix range, 8X is still pretty damned good. For this reason, I just ordered the Raynox 720. It has nasty barrel distortion on the wide side but stays tack sharp throughout the zoom range. Barrel distortion is easily corrected in PS. Check out these test photos, if interested. If you do, look at the 720. The foreign sites - from what I can make out, seem to prefer it to the 6600. Edges get way soft after 2X, can't correct that.

Consider it this way... if you leave the 720 on, you change the specs from .35 to 410 to .25 to 300, trading off a chunk of the tele end for a wider field of view. If the WA only has 2X its only use is really on the wide side.

http://nighthead.adzoo.jp/fz/widecon/wodecon4.htm
Compare the 12X clarity of the 720 with the 6600 and others. Not bad.

here's some more sample shots, scroll down. This site (translated) recommends the 720 for "everday/casual" use.

http://www.overseacruise.com/digicame/fz1wcon2.htm

Old Feb 15, 2005, 1:28 AM   #18

There is no winner in this discussion. I just learned thru years of doing that you/// I do not uses an extension lens to over zoom the original lens. It leads to poorer quality and under magnification. The more glass you add the worse the quality you get so use the lens to extend the range not overlap it.

In the future, I will be selling Raynox and Olympus lenses with my adapter, and I will not sell what I will not shoot with. The only Raynox lenses I plan to carry are the DCR1540, DCR6600 and the DCR250.
Old Feb 15, 2005, 4:11 AM   #19

why would you zoom... with a W/A converter....

I would only use the 25mm to 35mm angle... no - I would only use the 25mm angle
Just as for teleconverters.. I would only use it at max zoom
TimvdVelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 5:38 AM   #20

TimvdVelde wrote:
Quote:
why would you zoom... with a W/A converter....

I would only use the 25mm to 35mm angle... no - I would only use the 25mm angle
Just as for teleconverters.. I would only use it at max zoom
In truth you are correct one should use the WA at base zoom. But the Tele-extender is slightly different.

Theeffective zoomrange is the "X" position at which the tele-extender passes the basic cameras maximum zooms.

Effect zoom range formula:

(FZ mm max zoom) / TC magnification / FZ mm min zoom = minimum effective range:

Here is the formula for Tcon14B 420 / 1.45 /35 = 8.27X (419.7025 mm)

To get maximum quality always shoot at 8.27x and above.