Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 13, 2005, 11:04 AM   #1

I have been on several software development forums over the past couple of weeks to try and find one that is helpful.

I have joined a few in order to post some questions as well as help others. I keep checking back and wind up helping someone else, but I have not had one response to help me...

I also notice that there is not very much activity on any of the one's I have found thus far.

This forum is truely unique in that, if something gets posted... The response is pert near imidiate. It's amazing...

I wish other programmers where as passionate, but it seems that most of them think they know it all. But if they did... Would they not be able to answer my posts???:?

Anyway... I just wanted to point that out.

bobc

BTW... I switched to comcast so my newemail is...

[email protected]
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 13, 2005, 11:15 AM   #2

Other than Macromedia, programming forums are like that. But this forum is unique in that regard, agreed. Shame we can't write code. I can to a degree, but you're writing C++ or Java custom classes. That's beyond my skill level.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 12:04 PM   #3

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
Shame we can't write code. I can to a degree, but you're writing C++ or Java custom classes. That's beyond my skill level.
I am so lucky to have the job I have. Eveything in our system is an object. It is actually a 4 teir archatecture.

User interface... Client Side business objects... Server side business objects... SQL Server back end.

It's all written in C#.net, and the seperation of user interface from process makes it so much better on a large system. If it was not 100% OOP... It would definately be a very large bowl of spaghetty.

I m very fortunate to be involved with the highest level of development currently out there,and being able to hone a skill set that is very much in demand.

Ya just gotta stay markitable...

bobc
Old Feb 13, 2005, 1:19 PM   #4

You can wirte any code you want, but getting it to do anything besides segment-fault is a completley different story. :blah:

Peter.

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
Shame we can't write code. I can to a degree, but you're writing C++ or Java custom classes. That's beyond my skill level.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 2:24 PM   #5

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
You can wirte any code you want, but getting it to do anything besides segment-fault is a completley different story. :blah:

Peter.

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
:?... Huh???

Are you a programmer?

bobc
Old Feb 13, 2005, 3:14 PM   #6

OK I had to laugh on that one.
"programmer"/"software engineer" has so many different meanings nowadays depending on specialty. seg faults are UNIX-isms for an error that arises when software tries to access memory outside its alloted area, usually it's an error involving pointers / data structures.

(I'm an electrical engineer though can masquerade as a software engineer when I need to though all that high-level C# NET COM stuff has me bewildered.)

this forum has "critical mass" to answer your Q's quickly, I think (whether you like those answers is another story :-) ).

[Hey what's with the smileys, ": D" is supposed to stand for a grin, instead I get that blue martian holding his hands up in the air.... and the "; )" winking icon doesn't wink]
arghman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 3:53 PM   #7

shall we make a "whats your proffesion" topic.. i'm kinda curious :G

I work at a design department of a television post production company
TimvdVelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 3:59 PM   #8

arghman wrote:
Quote:
(I'm an electrical engineer though can masquerade as a software engineer when I need to though all that high-level C# NET COM stuff has me bewildered.)
I was an industrial electrician for almost 20 years. I also worked on mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic, optical, and even laser systems (in the military).

It is amazing how much that knowledge helped me when I went to school for programming as well as being a programmer now...

I have worked wth many electrical engineers over the years. Many where very good at the hands on stuff, but some (ussually the ones right out of school) could not even wire up a single phase motor without shorting something out...:G

Not saying that you are one of them...:O

bobc
Old Feb 13, 2005, 4:33 PM   #9

I know what you mean Bob. Ive been having a look at the Dpreview forum and that is just one big bun fight over there! We have out heated discussions every now and again but the other forums seem to be run by trolls!

Treemonkey
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 6:16 PM   #10
Fox

TimvdVelde wrote:
Quote:
shall we make a "whats your proffesion" topic.. i'm kinda curious :G

I work at a design department of a television post production company
Nick started a cool topic ...let's get to know each other. Quite a few people have said what they do for a living there.

Yes, this place is unique:|
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote