Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 13, 2005, 5:14 PM   #1

HI,

Yes more macros! I just love taking these. I wanted to take a nice close-up of a fern tip as it is a New Zealand icon and I thought it would be nice. Anyway I find this nice fern tip and zoom in only to find a little caterpillar living on it! He was just posing so I had plenty of time.
The first photo was taken at 12x zoom with the Nikon 6T, the second with the Raynox at ~6x and the third at 12x. Just shows the power difference of the two lenses when it comes to field work.
Same setup as the other macros, f8, 1/60s external flash (bounced).

Comments and criticism always welcome.

Treemonkey

Attached Images

Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 13, 2005, 5:14 PM   #2

Attached Images

Old Feb 13, 2005, 5:15 PM   #3

Attached Images

Old Feb 13, 2005, 6:30 PM   #4

These are - once again, teriffic Tree. Raynox 250 again?
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 6:35 PM   #5

You've really got that flash bounce cookin on the 6x bringing out all those hairs. The depth of field is so much better at 6xthan 12x. As you've mentioned before, it isn't neccessary to go to full zoom every time. Frequently its best to go tolower zoom not only for better framing but just for increased dof.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I took the liberty of cropping #2 down to the nifty nitty-critty.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Would youmind doing the same on the original and post that 100%here. I'm a diehard 2megaphile but the crop option available withmore mp is so invitng for this type of shot. I've got my pre-order in on an FZ5 and this is one of the first things I'll be looking at. Now if I can get the flash bounce working like you do I'll be in business. I was fooling around with it today with some success.The fz1 I can only set A or S, not both. That's a bit of a limitation. You can manually set A and S with the FZ5.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 7:10 PM   #6

Nick, the first Photo is with the Nikon, the last two are with the Raynox.

fmoore, ive attached the new crop. I must admit though Im not a fan of it, I really like having the fern there (NZ pride) but you wanted it!
About the whole S and A mode, I can only use A due to the bloody EVF not gaining up in full manual! I would love to increase the shutter speed to 1/100 but the EVF becomes so dark in "m" mode that you cant focus. I wish Panasonic would fix this problem. Its interesting that you are getting the FZ5, my plan is to use the FZ10 until I can afford the Nikon D70. But as a student that could take a few years!

Treemonkey
Attached Images

Old Feb 13, 2005, 7:39 PM   #7

You are the master of all creatures small. I look forward to seeing your posts just to see what's next. Amazing and inspiring. Thanks. Joe
shotgunbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 7:51 PM   #8

Treemonkey wrote:
Quote:
ive attached the new crop. I must admit though Im not a fan of it, I really like having the fern there (NZ pride) but you wanted it!
Thanks, TM. I'm not at all suggesting that the cropped version is better or more desirable. It isn't. The black background with the fern is verynice in the original.I was justcurious about the amount of detail thatwould show up in the crop. The cropped shotand the 12x are just about the same size (other than resolution).
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote