Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 13, 2005, 10:20 PM   #11

Those are awesome shots, but $500...
beernutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 10:38 PM   #12

beernutz wrote:
Quote:
Thank you, and I know what your saying. I thought long and hard about that one. I did save a tiny bit by buying it from B&H $430 but, still..... I ultimately went ahead with it because of two reasons. The first was I spoke with someone who owned the lens and had tried other cheaper ones. They said ,"if you truly want to take superior pictures then use a superior lens." Not that money always buys you the best but,from my own experience with quality telescopes I have learned that the image is only as good as the glass it passes through. So, you usually get what you pay for. The second factor was that the Panasonic lens hold f2.8 through the entire zoom range and that's huge. Ultimately it was worth the extra dollars to me. It may not be to everybody. I can certainly understand that. Besides, a quality Digital SLR and telephoto lens would be 3 to 4 times what I paid for my camera and lens.
So, I've got that going for me. Which is nice. :lol:

Thanks for looking,
Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 11:45 PM   #13

smac wrote:
Quote:
beernutz wrote:
Quote:
Thank you, and I know what your saying. I thought long and hard about that one. I did save a tiny bit by buying it from B&H $430 but, still..... I ultimately went ahead with it because of two reasons. The first was I spoke with someone who owned the lens and had tried other cheaper ones. They said ,"if you truly want to take superior pictures then use a superior lens." Not that money always buys you the best but,from my own experience with quality telescopes I have learned that the image is only as good as the glass it passes through. So, you usually get what you pay for. The second factor was that the Panasonic lens hold f2.8 through the entire zoom range and that's huge. Ultimately it was worth the extra dollars to me. It may not be to everybody. I can certainly understand that. Besides, a quality Digital SLR and telephoto lens would be 3 to 4 times what I paid for my camera and lens.
So, I've got that going for me. Which is nice. :lol:

Thanks for looking,
Steve
Steve, believe me if I had a spare $430 under the mattress I would have an LTZ10 in the mail to me right now. What your pictures have essentially done is spoiled me from ever really wanting another tele lens. When I compare your shots to those from the Oly TCON's or the Canon for example there is, IMO, no comparison. However,that comparison is almost apples and oranges since you could probably buy all 3 of those other lenses for what the Panasonic cost.

Just keep posting those great shots I guess and I'llenjoy the LTZ10vicariously through them.:-)
beernutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 11:49 PM   #14

You've got a deal.:G
Old Feb 13, 2005, 11:49 PM   #15

oops. double post
Old Feb 14, 2005, 1:11 AM   #16

Great pictures. Just what I was waiting for to see because I am contemplating the purchase of the Panasonic Tele-Lens LTZ10.

Post a few more pics if you have them.

Love to see some more.

Thanks for sharing

JandG

JandG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2005, 10:42 AM   #17

Steve, did you find anyone "outside" of NY State that had a price close to $430? I have this thing about sales you know what:-)! Thanks, Gerry

ps: Is that a heavy lens? Does it make quite a bid of difference hanging out there as far as balance, etc.. Great shots by the way!
ggw2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2005, 7:55 PM   #18

JandG wrote:
Quote:
Great pictures. Just what I was waiting for to see because I am contemplating the purchase of the Panasonic Tele-Lens LTZ10.

Post a few more pics if you have them.

Love to see some more.

Thanks for sharing

JandG
Thanks,

If you look a little farther back in this forum I posted some of the very first pictures I ever took with the new lens. If you want more I can post plenty more. Last friday I took 249 at the refuge. You can also checkout the Wildlife forum. I have some pics there as well.

smac
Old Feb 14, 2005, 8:03 PM   #19

ggw2000 wrote:
Quote:
Steve, did you find anyone "outside" of NY State that had a price close to $430? I have this thing about sales you know what:-)! Thanks, Gerry

ps: Is that a heavy lens? Does it make quite a bid of difference hanging out there as far as balance, etc..*** Great shots by the way!
There was one other place in Florida that had the same price and free shipping.

http://www.videodirect.com/Merchant2...ory_Code=WSCAM

As for the weight, yes it is a big hunk-O-glass. Still not as bad as an old 35mm SLR with a 300mm lens. Hefty none the less. I have found that if I use the SunPak monopod I bought at BestBuy and the bracket that came with the lens it is very manageable. The backet really helps put the Center of Gravity where it should be. The monopod can rest against your stomach or belt for great support and stability. All my shots have been with that setup. Hand held, attached to the monopod, supported against something else. Mostly my stomach. Works like a charm.

You will love this lens. It is second to none.

Steve
Old Feb 14, 2005, 8:35 PM   #20

Steve, thanks for reply on place to buy Panasonic lenses. Their prices look decent! The tele is one expensive lens but the pics are awesome! Have you got the "wide angle" Panasonic lens also? Thanks, Gerry

Another quick question if you please. Do you input in the setup menu that you are using the tele on the camera?
ggw2000 is offline   Reply With Quote