Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 14, 2005, 9:39 AM   #1

Have been looking at all the "Ultra" zoom cameras on the market for the past two weeks and my brain is about mush at this point :lol:. The reviews on the FZ20 look good as compared to other ones out there (Nikon, Canon). I read the new review at DCRESOURCE on the FZ5 and am wondering whether to wait and see how that shakes out before buying. It has a smaller body and apprears to have a smaller lens barrel on it. I played with a FZ20 at circus city and it appears to be pretty fast and the pics that I have looked at here look great!

Bottom line is that I am looking for a "ultra" zoom with hot shoe, Image Stabilization, ability to add lenses if necessary, and a great EVF display. Also movie mode with audio.

Thus anyone have any reason at this point to think that the FZ20 would be a better purchase in the long run? Thanks in Advance, Gerry
ggw2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2005, 10:50 AM   #2

ggw2000 wrote:
Quote:
Bottom line is that I am looking for a "ultra" zoom with hot shoe,
FZ5 will not have hot shoe (or manual focus ring)
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2005, 11:00 AM   #3

fmoore, thanks for the quick reply! I told you my brain was shot from reading so many reviews, etc. :?. The F5 doesn't have the hot shoe. Pretty much sums that one up, huh... Thanks, Gerry

ps: I hope that most people that have the FZ20 are happy campers? The only thing that really bothers me is the EVF. I had a Sony CD1000 a few years back and it was a nice camera but it took awhile to get use to the EVF as compared to optical viewing.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 8:52 PM   #4

i've had my FZ20 since early December, and i love it. the EVF works okay once you get used to it, but fast panning shots are sometimes a bit tough... that's the only real objection i have to it.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 7:10 AM   #5

ggw2000, welcome to the forum, I too have had the camera since November and like squirl33 there are but a very few imperfections with the cam. I've loved every minute of having mine and enjoyed taking in excess of 1000 pics, there is one huge learning curve with this camera and patience will be required as it is definiatley NOT a point and shoot one. And yes like you I researched for months, I'm sure not sorry for my choice.

Hazz
Hazzarbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 5:24 PM   #6

I have also been researching the long zoom cameras & had pretty much decided on the FZ20 until the FZ5 review. Faster AF & lighter weight/smaller size changed my mind in favour of the FZ5 but unfortunately it cannot be purchased in the UK yet.Normally no problem to wait butI need anew camera for a holiday in a few weeks so:idea: does anyone know if it is possible to purchase an FZ5 outside the UK?

Phill D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 5:46 PM   #7

It is supposed to be released in Germany March 15th:arrow:
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 6:01 PM   #8

Thanks nooner bit too late for me unfortunately
Phill D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 8:15 PM   #9

Hazzarbone wrote:
Quote:
ggw2000, welcome to the forum, I too have had the camera since November and like squirl33 there are but a very few imperfections with the cam. I've loved every minute of having mine and enjoyed taking in excess of 1000 pics, there is one huge learning curve with this camera and patience will be required as it is definiatley NOT a point and shoot one. And yes like you I researched for months, I'm sure not sorry for my choice.

Hazz

Hazzarbone, I picked up a FZ20 yesterday. Been pouring over the manual little by little when I get time. Been to darn dark when I get home from work to get any practice on it. Hope to play some this weekend but it will probably be 20 degrees out! Appears to be an amazing camera but I am going to have to read the manual a few times to get use to anything other than Program mode:lol:. Gerry
Old Feb 15, 2005, 10:06 PM   #10

G'day Gerry, Great you got it, hope you enjoy as much as I did and am still. There is a real good link that helped me a lot and that is the first or second thread 'FZ info' posted by treemonkey. If you want to my private email is attached to my profile, I dont have all the answers but only too happy to help.

Harry
Hazzarbone is offline   Reply With Quote