Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 14, 2005, 11:43 PM   #11

mblue1 wrote:
Quote:
I did set the IS to mode 2 but I still get the red AF and camera shake icon. And it's not like I'm moving the camera, I'm actually trying to keep steady when taking the pictures. The green border does come up in the lcd screen for the vast majority of my shots but I keep getting the red symbols. With the daytime shots, the focus was on target. I haven't been able to test any shots out in a bright sunny setting (like the beach) since it's been rather pretty cloudy out here in San Diego.

I know I just got this camera and probably am being a bit paranoid about the "flaws," so to speak. I do have up to 14 days to return it if not satisfied with the purchase. In the meantime, more practice and hopefully people won't get too annoyed by my "dumb" questions. Any help, really, is greatly appreciated.

p.s. I found the other software that enables me to modify the size of my pic. Thanks!

Patience my friend.. Within 14 days you'll be an expert and know if you want to keep the camera..

I'm not familar with the FZ3 as I have the FZ20 but I believe it does share some features.

The antishake warning comes on when the camera is set such that a blurry picture MAY occur with the current aperture and speed settings. It comes on regardless of the antishake mode, and will probably always come on indoors, in auto mode (and others depending on settings) due to lower light. It has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not you are actually moving the camera. So you can loosen up a bit. I've taken 1 second exposures with the antishake turned on (static subject only) and they've been razor sharp. Luck to some extent I'm sure but it does work.

The Red AF comes on when the AF assist lamp is lit (I assume your camera has one of those). On mine, when the camera has found it's focus the light goes out and the AF disappears from the screen.

Just so you know, when the f-stop and shutter speed numbers at the bottom of the display turn Red, the camera is telling you that a tripod is advisable or you need the flash. Anti shake will curb that need for most situations. On the FZ20 there is a green dot at the top of the screen that blinks when the camera is focusing and stays solid when the camera has locked on to something (hopefully your subject) at half shutter button press.

The FZ's are photographers cameras and do take some getting use to. A background with a manual film camera goes a long way in understanding these gems but isn't necassary.

My recomendation, pick a static subject (some sort of still life) and play with the settings. Don't worry about zooms and the lot, just play with the settings. Change apertures, change shutter speeds, use the flash, turn it off. Use autofocus and focus manually (if the FZ3 allows it). If you have a tripod, experiement with that (hint, use the self timer for these shots). Write down what you do with each shot, download the pics to your computer and see what worked and didn't work. Digital film (SD cards) are very cheap when it comes to learning how to use a camera, compared to film. Take advantage of it.

Good luck,
Jeff
PS.. Read, re-read, and read again, then read some more, the instructions. They are fairly well laid out in my experience.
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 12:19 AM   #12

Hi mblue1, can you please post a couple of photos that illustrate the issues you are having. This will help people figure out the problem. Could you try to resize the photos to 800 x600.

Treemonkey
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 12:52 AM   #13

Hi,

I definitely will put some pics up, probably sometime this Sunday as the dreadful storm is expected to last for a good 4 days. Please let me knowwhat you guys think about my pics and any suggestions, of course, would be great. Ijust need to purchasea higher sd card,preferably 512 mb.Thus, currently, I'm only able to play around with the camera using the sample sd card that came with this camera. The card I'll be using is sandisk ultra II, which I hear is supposed to be very fast. Speaking of, how do I upload my pics in this forum? You say 800 X 600, how do I save it at that setting?

I was actually checking out another camera online with a similar small compact sized body like the FZ3, Olympus C-765. Regretfully, this model doesn't have an IS and from what I've read, common complaint is lack of focusing in low light situations. Aside from these issues, the camera received pretty high rating forgreat color results. But I'm probably going to stick with the FZ3 because like Ihadmentioned before, thepraises for the FZ3hasbeen top-notch, even beating out the Canon S1 IS (more so in overallpicture results).

Thanks to all for your helpful advices.
mblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 5:01 AM   #14

mblue1 wrote:
Quote:
What am I doing wrong? Am I expecting too much for a 3MP camera??

It isn't a matter of MP count. First of all, the FZ3 is not a very good indoor camera, although I got some nice indoor shots in cathedrals etc. Then, it is very important what type of focus you use. I recommend 3-point or center, not 9-point. The image stabilizer gives you about 2-3 f stops. This means that in full zoom (420 mm equivalent), where you would usually need 1/420 as a minimum shutter speed, you may get away with about 1/100. Longer shutter times will probablycause blurred pics. It sometimes helps to use the EVF (since you can press the camera to your face to add some steadiness).

The FZ3 is a wonderful camera, and the only regrets I have with it is the noise at higher ISO values.

Regards,

jazzy
jazzcrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 6:25 AM   #15

Don't worry, just practice! I have owned FZ3 for about a month now, and see my posts and the comments I have received - from "why did you post this photograph?" to "excellent". I am still learning, and have resolved now, in order not to irritate others members of this forum, only to post good photos. Rest assured that this is a wonderful camera. Ask my family and everyone will fully agree -as it keeps me away from them all the time!
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 8:39 AM   #16

mblue1 wrote:
Quote:
You say 800 X 600, how do I save it at that setting?

In photobase, double click onyour pic,and go to EDITOR. There's an option in there to RESIZE, 800X600 or less, you can view it on your monitor by percentage. SAVE, will save with a predetermined shot number. SAVE AS allows you to name the file which I find more helpful in locating the pic later. Spend some time in this software and learn to file/organize your photos now. A good practice to keep.
shotgunbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 8:56 PM   #17

Hello again,

Okay, I have attached a sample pic from the other day using the Panasonic 8mb sd card that came with the camera. I'm pretty sure I set the mode to A (possibly P, can't remember). The ISO was set at, I'm sure, 80, white balance set at as cloudy. Please note, the pic of the Mustang was taken using the full 12X zoom. I should point out that I set the setting to "natural" and not "vivid." Should I use "natural" for most of my pics, particularly people and buildings? Also, how do you add more than 1 picture in a post? I definitely plan on posting more pics up when the weather gets better; I can't wait.

Feel free to add your inputs whether this is an okay picture. What I've noticed was that, when I blow up the picture, I can't honestly tell any difference fromtheKodak's 5.0 MP DX7590 picture when blown up to its full size when viewed in my pc monitor.In fact, the JPEG compression rate seem to be about the same, Kodak beingmore aggressive (IMO).

Thanks.

Attached Images

Old Feb 15, 2005, 9:09 PM   #18

In photobase, go to details to view the specs.

That car of your's, is it an automatic trans?
shotgunbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 9:19 PM   #19

frankly, i see nothing wrong with that shot, from the camera performance point of view. image is a teeny bit soft, for my personal taste, but that's a snap to fix. i certainly don't see anything in the image that would indicate the camera's not performing just fine. better light would've helped, obviously, but for a long zoom shot on an overcast day, it seems fine to me.

you didn't say what shutter speed or aperture you were using... a higher f-stop (smaller aperture) will yield sharper images at full zoom, but in dull light, it's hard to get enough shutter speed (1/100 or faster) to use the smaller aperture andget a good image at 12x.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 9:22 PM   #20

Oh no, not my car. It's one of my co-worker's car at work. Automatic transmission. Nice car, though. : )

Here are the specs:

compress rate: 2.0 bits/pixel

exposure time: 1/125 second

F number: 4.0

focal point: 55.20 mm

ISO speed rate: 80

No flash

Lightsource: flash

exposure program: normal (so should I use this for taking pictures over the vivid mode?)

custom rendered: normal

exposure mode: auto exposure

white balance: normal

gain control: none

Contrast, saturation, sharpness: all normal.