Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 14, 2005, 11:11 PM   #1

If you are currently shopping for a DMC-FZ20 and have access to AAFES.com (active, reserve, and retired military) they have FZ20s back ordered until the 17th, but priced at $429.:-) That includes free S&H, and of course, no taxes. The picture they show is the black model. I ordered one yesterday to replace my old broken Nikon N2000 (about time, too!) as well as a bevty of much more inferior digital cameras. For those of you not in the military ... maybe you know a veteran?

Thanks to everyone for your insight, it was instrumental in choosing the FZ20!
nojustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2005, 1:38 AM   #2

Currently shopping -- unfortunately, no access to that site!

If I don't find anythin below Circuit City's $539 online price, I'm going to pick up on Fri. night!

THanks again for the continued assistance in my low price search!!
smilez03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 10:48 AM   #3

There are better deals than CC. Check c-net, i think $474 was the lowest.
shotgunbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 10:59 AM   #4

Yeah Smilez...there are definitely deals out there for under $500 for the FZ20. But the circuit city package usually includes a memory card and if it is atleast 256mb it might be close to a good deal. Although if you get it for $470 elsewhere, you could get a kingmax hi speed 66X 512mb card for around $40.

seth
indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 11:47 PM   #5

Hi all!

I got my FZ20 tonight (battery is charging as we speak!)

Heres how it went down.

Beach Camera jacked up their price to $549... was $476 (darn supply and demand!)

Whoever got that at B&H, you got the last one!! Theyre backordered at $499 for 1-2 weeks!!!

A lot of the places I found that had it for $429-$489 were mostly shady operations with HORRIBLE reviews on resellerratings.com (VERY valuable site, saves a LOT of headaches!) One of the places was the kind that charged extrayou for the BATTERY, CHARGER, SOFTWARE thats bundled with the camera! I didnt feel comfortable with those.

So here's what I did:
42nd St. Photo has it for $497 in black, in stock. (However, I've read bad review after bad review on resellerratings.comabout service) BUT... they're a LOCAL storefront and it was in stock (key word for Circuit City price match policy because they wont match mail order store addresses like those in Brooklyn.)

So I marched over to Circuit city, printouts in hand, along with a copy of their Price Match policy. After the sales folk tried to ignore their policy claiming "we don't accept their prices" and me clearly pointing out their price match policy they said "we only do stores like Best Buy, and J&R, and B&H...chain stores." I said "b&h has it for $499, I called today." They checked the website and saw the price, and were either tired of arguing, or just didint see that B&h is out of stock temporarily Again, either they were tired or knew they were wrong on the 42nd street price match (you can't argue with your company's own printed policy all over the store and on their website!!)

After some further discussion, I was sold the FZ20 for $489.

I'll definitelypurchase from Circuit City in the future. I appreciate when a company will beat competitor's prices... I'm really not "that person" who goes into a store and starts trouble either, I swear!

AND AFTER ALL IS SAID AND DONE...I'M OFF AND RUNNING WITH MY FZ20!!!
Old Feb 16, 2005, 1:01 AM   #6

Check out ressellerratings.com

They list the lowest prices that day, plus you can read reviews of the stores to find out if they have sound business practices.

My .02
mupmup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 1:26 AM   #7

Totally agree mup!

www.resellerratings.com

A must read before buying anything online.

Others may also want to try www.streetprices.comhowever, they seem to have a lot of those not so stellar stores on there.

www.epinions.com is great as well

It's always best to check the site though. sometimes the price is listed higher than the actual price on the purchase site!

BEST OF LUCk!
Old Feb 16, 2005, 9:35 AM   #8

smilez03 wrote:
Quote:
Hi all!

I got my FZ20 tonight (battery is charging as we speak!)

Heres how it went down.

Beach Camera jacked up their price to $549... was $476 (darn supply and demand!)

Whoever got that at B&H, you got the last one!! Theyre backordered at $499 for 1-2 weeks!!!

A lot of the places I found that had it for $429-$489 were mostly shady operations with HORRIBLE reviews on resellerratings.com (VERY valuable site, saves a LOT of headaches!) One of the places was the kind that charged extrayou for the BATTERY, CHARGER, SOFTWARE thats bundled with the camera! I didnt feel comfortable with those.

So here's what I did:
42nd St. Photo has it for $497 in black, in stock. (However, I've read bad review after bad review on resellerratings.comabout service) BUT... they're a LOCAL storefront and it was in stock (key word for Circuit City price match policy because they wont match mail order store addresses like those in Brooklyn.)

So I marched over to Circuit city, printouts in hand, along with a copy of their Price Match policy. After the sales folk tried to ignore their policy claiming "we don't accept their prices" and me clearly pointing out their price match policy they said "we only do stores like Best Buy, and J&R, and B&H...chain stores." I said "b&h has it for $499, I called today." They checked the website and saw the price, and were either tired of arguing, or just didint see that B&h is out of stock temporarily Again, either they were tired or knew they were wrong on the 42nd street price match (you can't argue with your company's own printed policy all over the store and on their website!!)

After some further discussion, I was sold the FZ20 for $489.

I'll definitelypurchase from Circuit City in the future. I appreciate when a company will beat competitor's prices... I'm really not "that person" who goes into a store and starts trouble either, I swear!

AND AFTER ALL IS SAID AND DONE...I'M OFF AND RUNNING WITH MY FZ20!!!
Good price on your FZ20! Black or silver (not that it matters functionally, I'm just curious because of the raising prices on the black version)?

Ya, that's pretty much my experience, too. Prices on the FZ20K (black) are climbing dailydue to supply-n-demand. Yes, there are lots of places advertising the 20K, even list the 20K as "in stock" or "Available", but after calling more than a few, I got the same answer: Back-ordered. Argh!

I'm surprised, though. I called 42nd yesterday and they said they didn't have any 20Ks left.

I agree...http://www.resellerratings.com saved me a lot of headaches.

In the end, because I'm up in Canada and am having the camera shipped to a relative in the US (who will be bringing it up next week :-)), I went with Abes of Maine. More than a few US shops wouldn't deal with me because I'm "International" or because my billing address was different than my shipping address...even though I called ahead and had the alternate address added to my credit card. While I fully understand their policies (obviously, alot of fraud), it still sucks!

Ah well. Fortunately, Abes had the 20K in stock and didn't have any issues with my shipping arrangements. Price was $520, which isn't bad. I could have probably done better, but Abes is reputable, had the camera in stock, was willing to ship as per my instructions, etc. So, it was a done-deal.

Enjoy your 20!

Mike B.
onespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 10:55 AM   #9

Hey, I indeed got the black model (After a LOT of searching!) Now if i could have only found a way to avoid that nasty NY sales tax... haha, just kidding -- I'm happy with mydeal!!!

I think I received it because 42nd webiste showed it as In Stock and B&H also had the same price.

Again, I"m still confused as to why Panasonic would let the supplies of the black model get so low!
Old Feb 16, 2005, 12:02 PM   #10

Panasonic is waiting for the inventory to deplete before releasing anymore black units. It doesn't make sense for them to sit on a bunch of silver ones if the demand is high for the camera in general.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote