Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 15, 2005, 2:50 PM   #1

I'm up here in Canada and am looking to buy a FZ20 from an online shop in the US, where it will then be shipped to a relative in Florida, who will then bring it up with them in a couple of weeks. I have already added the alternate address with my CC company, but I'm finding it very difficult to find a shop that will:

1 -sell to a Canuck. Some just don't accept International CCs.

2- sell to a Canuck with an alternate address other than the billing address.

FWIW, the reason I'm buying in the US is due to the huge savings (~$350CDN) versus buying locally ($900 + 15% tax).

Any Canucks have any leads on the FZ20 (in black) that can be bought in this manner? FWIW, I fully understand their (the companies selling the cameras) policies and why they've been implemented...but, it still sucks!

Mike B.
onespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2005, 3:25 PM   #2

I was planning on doing the same thing! If it works, there's definitely some huge saving to be had! :?

I did some checking on the web but hadn't gone through the ordering process yet so I didn't realize I was going to have problems...

Let me know if you find a solution and I'll do the same.

Don't know where you're from but if you have to buy in Canada, you can get the FZ-20 from www.ncix.com for $885 and you may only have to pay 7% tax.

Not as good as the US deal but better than a kick in the... :lol:
phlush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 4:09 PM   #3

I just ordered one from Abes of Maine (http://www.abesofmaine.com/viewprodu...?id=psdmcfz20k) for $520US + shipping. I paid a little more than some of the other shops. But, after calling a few of the cheaper options (Sizziling Deals, Inoax, 42nd, etc.) and asking them point-blank, "Is the camera available?". There answer was always: "No, it's on backorder and will be for a couple weeks". Odd, your site says it's available.

So, I called Abes and confirmed that they actually had the FZ20K (black) in stock and explained my shipping situation. Absolutely no problems.I decided to just spend a little more and went with Abes.

Total was $538.89 with shipping ($519.99 + $18.90). That's approx $680CDN (I added a couple percent to the current exchange rate for CC purchase). As mentioned, locally, it's $900 + 15% tax = $1035CDN. Savings = $355. Good enough for me.

Now, the torture of waiting!

M.

Old Feb 15, 2005, 8:06 PM   #4

Have you considered having your friend buy the cam on his/her CC, and you reimbursehim/her (or prepay, depending on how good a friend s/he is) when the camera is delivered? that would get around the international CC issue, and you wouldn't have to mess with alternate addresses...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 8:20 PM   #5

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
Have you considered having your friend buy the cam on his/her CC, and you reimbursehim/her (or prepay, depending on how good a friend s/he is) when the camera is delivered? that would get around the international CC issue, and you wouldn't have to mess with alternate addresses...

That was my thought right off the bat! Make it simple:idea:...... Gerry
ggw2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 12:10 AM   #6

'Buyer Beware'!

Two comments about the warranty: 1.) The FZ20 purchased in Canada has a better warranty than the U.S. warranty. 2.) Will you be able to get warranty service in Canada on a U.S. purchased FZ20 ... probably not.

Also, when purchasing over the internet at the ultimate lowest price, you can't always be sure that you'll get the complete package, even if they do have it in stock.

Also, your local prices seem a bithigh. I purchased my FZ20 from a local Calgary retailer for $800 even, last month. No, it wasn't on sale. I got the complete package and the Canadian warranty.Prices on the FZ20s are coming down in Canada.

DeanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 12:21 AM   #7

DeanB wrote:
Quote:
'Buyer Beware'!

Two comments about the warranty: 1.) The FZ20 purchased in Canada has a better warranty than the U.S. warranty. 2.) Will you be able to get warranty service in Canada on a U.S. purchased FZ20 ... probably not.

Also, when purchasing over the internet at the ultimate lowest price, you can't always be sure that you'll get the complete package, even if they do have it in stock.

Also, your local prices seem a bit high. I purchased my FZ20 from a local Calgary retailer for $800 even, last month. No, it wasn't on sale. I got the complete package and the Canadian warranty. Prices on the FZ20s are coming down in Canada.
Deanb--how long was your warranty? I bought mine out here in Van, and it's only 3 months labour, and a year for parts. Hardly anything to write home about. Nikon is 2 years parts and labor. Much better, but not a fluzi. Cheers.....thekman.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 2:10 AM   #8

thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
Deanb--how long was your warranty? I bought mine out here in Van, and it's only 3 months labour, and a year for parts. Hardly anything to write home about. Nikon is 2 years parts and labor. Much better, but not a fluzi. Cheers.....thekman.
Hi Kman!

Yer a Vancouverite, eh! I sure envy you ... todayI had to shovel 1/2 foot of snow, and we won't see spring here in 'Cowgary' for at least another month.

Being a Canadian who made his FZ20 purchase in Canada, you are covered by thePanasonic Canada Inc.full one year warranty (parts & labour). The warranty that youdescribe is in the owners manual ... that's the U.S. warranty. In the box that your FZ20 came in, there should have been a separate envelope containing the upgraded Panasonic Canada Inc.warranty. Even if the Canadian warranty wasn't in the box that your camera came in, you should still be covered by that warranty, if youhave your original receipt. Maybe check with your retailer to be sure.

More good news for you; For any warranty work, repairs, maint., etc. there is a Panasonic Canada service centre real close to Van. (12111 Riverside Way, Richmond, BC. / Ph. 604-278-4211)

Hope this helps,

:|Dean
DeanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 9:19 AM   #9

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
Ya, I had thought of that, too. And, I would have gone that route, if need be. Obviously, I didn't want to complicate matters in having them pay for my camera and then getting reimbursed since they are doing more than enough for me as it is. At any rate, it all worked-out. Now, the waiting game :sad:

As for the warranty issue of buying in the US....very true, but I guess I'm willing to gamble a bit. Truthfully, I would highly doubt that Panasonic would leave any owner hanging if I did have an issue. IMHO, that would be a very bad move for Panasonic.

While it's not entirely the same, I've been buying bike parts (MTB, road and cyclocross) from the US for ~10-yrs. The savings are just too substantial to ignore. Over this time, sure, I've had warranty issues (MTB racingis very hard on components) and I've never had an issue with any company (even though I'm in Canada and the parts were purchased online from the US).

While I (obviously) look for quality in the products I buy (be it cameras, bike parts, etc.), I also heavily weigh-in their customer service. I've never had any issues with past or current Panasonic products (TVs, VCRs, etc.), so I'm *hoping* that their FZ20 lives-up to this heritage. And, if I do have an issue (yes, stuff does happen and I can live with that), it's how the company re-acts to these issues that really counts. Obviously, I hope it never comes to that.

Mike B.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 11:36 AM   #10

DeanB wrote:
Quote:
thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Kman!

Yer a Vancouverite, eh! I sure envy you ... today I had to shovel 1/2 foot of snow, and we won't see spring here in 'Cowgary' for at least another month.

Being a Canadian who made his FZ20 purchase in Canada, you are covered by the Panasonic Canada Inc. full one year warranty (parts & labour). The warranty that you describe is in the owners manual ... that's the U.S. warranty. In the box that your FZ20 came in, there should have been a separate envelope containing the upgraded Panasonic Canada Inc. warranty. Even if the Canadian warranty wasn't in the box that your camera came in, you should still be covered by that warranty, if you have your original receipt. Maybe check with your retailer to be sure.

More good news for you; For any warranty work, repairs, maint., etc. there is a Panasonic Canada service centre real close to Van. (12111 Riverside Way, Richmond, BC. / Ph. 604-278-4211)

Hope this helps,

:| Dean
Hey there DeanB. Sorry to hear about your snow problems It's been pretty nice out here the last 5 days. No envelope explaing the Canada warranty in my fluzi box, but as long as you have the bill etc, wouldn't be a problem. We're lucky out here. We have a Panasonic(as you mentioned), and a Nikon depot for repairs if we need them.Thanks for the info.....Cheers..thekman.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote