Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 16, 2005, 9:56 AM   #11

I have been using a Nikon f1.4/50mm with a reversing ring for several years. I use a macro slider on a tripod. DOF is very limited and lighting is critical. Some examples are here:http://www.debbiesphotos.CloseupMacr...otoShare.co.nz
Bobby Pearce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 4:49 PM   #12

Quote:
No problem, your results look promising. Do you have a tripod?. BTW, 100mm lenses give more DOF.
I do have a tripod and I may have to start to use it with this lens but usually it just gets in the way. I realise that 100mm lenses would increase DOF but the drawback with a longer focal length lens is increased vignetteing which would mean you need to use higher zoom and reduce your DOF. The other issue is that longer lenses tend to be slower and certainly not f/1.4, this again causes the above problem. I figured a fast 50mm lens would balance the problems and I can always just reduce the zoom if I need the DOF.

Quote:
Thanks TM, BTW, what is the thread diameter of your Pentax Super-Takumar 50mm f/1.4 lens? and I suppose the lens does obstruct our large FZ lens, so does it affect much?
The thread is 49mm and im not quite sure what you mean by obstruct? There are some amazing macros in that forum and some great info. I have a lot to learn, but it will be fun!

Quote:
I have been using a Nikon f1.4/50mm with a reversing ring for several years. I use a macro slider on a tripod. DOF is very limited and lighting is critical.
Bobby Pearce, Great photos. I may need to invest in some sort of macro stand I dont think sticking stuff into my laptop keyboard is a long term option!

Treemonkey
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 4:52 PM   #13

I have a 28mm wideangle canon lens.. I'm trying it now but there's not enought light here.. you guys think it's possible with 28mm ?
TimvdVelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 5:39 PM   #14

TimvdVelde wrote:
Quote:
I have a 28mm wideangle canon lens.. I'm trying it now but there's not enought light here.. you guys think it's possible with 28mm ?
I do not think so. Most reverse lenses are either 50 or 100mm.

Give it a try and make me wrong.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 6:59 PM   #15

As lovelife said just give it a go. I may work but DOF would be extremely small and the magnification would be equally extreme. The working distance is likely to be the real issue here. It would be below 2cm and at that point lighting becomes pretty tricky.
Keep us up to date on the results though.

Treemonkey
Old Feb 16, 2005, 7:07 PM   #16

The results are pretty bad....

It IS possible but vignetting occurs. And highlights began to result in flares. Dof is less than 1 mm and it's just not possible without a good tripod. I don't know what to make a macro of (object with details that small...) But i'll post a pictures soon. Lighting is not a problem -> I just bounce the internal flash
TimvdVelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 7:16 PM   #17

I can't believe you can zoom in that much. That is really crazy.

keep up the good work and thanks for sharing
Rezajune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 5:16 AM   #18

Rezajune wrote:
Quote:

I know Rezajune, I couldnt believe it when I tried it. I cant wait to try it on some tiny little insect!

Treemonkey
Old Feb 17, 2005, 11:02 AM   #19

Treemonkey wrote:
Quote:
Rezajune wrote:
Quote:

I know Rezajune, I couldnt believe it when I tried it. I cant wait to try it on some tiny little insect!

Treemonkey
A reversed 100mm increases your lens to subject distance.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote