Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 16, 2005, 2:35 AM   #1

My eBay lens arrived today, its a Pentax Super-Takumar 50mm f/1.4 lens. Its pretty old and has some fungus but it cost me $2.75! Anyway, here is my first attempt at macros. The lens is reversed in front of the FZ10. The lens was being held by hand as I haven't rigged up a mount yet.
This is now seriously insane in terms of its power. I would say DOF is <0.1mm and focusing is kinda difficult! These were handheld photos, no tripod. Working distance is around 4cm so lighting is a little tricky, but the trusty Sunpak 383 held it ok.
I realise these photos are not good I'm purely indicating the power of these lenses and giving a taste of things to come!

1st Photo no lens no zoom just FZ10

Treemonkey
Attached Images

Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2005, 2:37 AM   #2

Now with the lens on but no zoom, now that is what I call vignetteing!
Attached Images

Old Feb 16, 2005, 2:38 AM   #3

Finally, full zoom (12x, 420mm).

Crazy I tell you, just crazy!
Attached Images

Old Feb 16, 2005, 3:28 AM   #4

Treemonkey wrote:
Quote:
My eBay lens arrived today, its a Pentax Super-Takumar 50mm f/1.4 lens. Its pretty old and has some fungus but it cost me $2.75! Anyway, here is my first attempt at macros. The lens is reversed in front of the FZ10. The lens was being held by hand as I haven't rigged up a mount yet.
This is now seriously insane in terms of its power. I would say DOF is <0.1mm and focusing is kinda difficult! These were handheld photos, no tripod. Working distance is around 4cm so lighting is a little tricky, but the trusty Sunpak 383 held it ok.
I realise these photos are not good I'm purely indicating the power of these lenses and giving a taste of things to come!

1st Photo no lens no zoom just FZ10

Treemonkey
I have a 50mm Nikon f1.4 and am thinking of developing a special reversing ring to work with my new adapter. The filter size on my Nikon f1.4 is 52mm; the Pentax f1.4 is 49mm.

Would you pay $23.00 for a special ring that worked with my adapter, which would result in the closest fit possible? My adapter available the last week of March, would sell for about $39.00. One would also have to assume that you already owned this special 62mm adapter. It can be used, with its additional cost conversion rings, to mount 52, 55 and 55mm accessories, with no lens offset.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 3:40 AM   #5

I had some success with reversing a 55mm f1.4 minolta
3 images follow this thread.
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...52&forum_id=23
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 3:48 AM   #6

WOW! The magnification is VERY VERY High! Can't wait to try it. Manage to win a minolta 50mm f1.7 MD lens from ebay....not as cheap though, US$20.50 and would be arriving soon.....

TM, at which xzoom does the vignetting go away?
tchuanye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 4:58 AM   #7

tchuanye, I was pleasantly surprised as the vignetting isnt noticeable past ~6x, it is a very fast lens though and that will help. I will do some comparisons with the various close up lenses that I have this new one once I assemble an adaptor.

Lovelife, I have no plans of buying a new adaptor. I have just bought a couple of UV filters (again ebay bargain) and I will glue the 50mm lens to it. I know this is crude but if it works it will save me a few bucks and that is always good for a poor student.

Treemonkey
Old Feb 16, 2005, 6:17 AM   #8

Treemonkey wrote:
Quote:
tchuanye, I was pleasantly surprised as the vignetting isnt noticeable past ~6x, it is a very fast lens though and that will help. I will do some comparisons with the various close up lenses that I have this new one once I assemble an adaptor.

Lovelife, I have no plans of buying a new adaptor. I have just bought a couple of UV filters (again ebay bargain) and I will glue the 50mm lens to it. I know this is crude but if it works it will save me a few bucks and that is always good for a poor student.

Treemonkey
No problem, your results look promising. Do you have a tripod?. BTW, 100mm lenses give more DOF.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 6:25 AM   #9

Crazy it is :shock::shock:Looks like you're going to have a lot of fun

Cheers, GB
greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 6:54 AM   #10

Treemonkey wrote:
Quote:

Treemonkey
Thanks TM, BTW, what is the thread diameter of your Pentax Super-Takumar 50mm f/1.4 lens? and I suppose the lens does obstruct our large FZ lens, so does it affect much?

And I think.....and I am not too sure abt this, the lesser the zoom we use on the Fz, the higher DOF we can achieve...or that is what I read about other cameras using the reverse macro.

Here are some interesting links relating to reverse lens for info:
http://www.naturephotosociety.org.sg/ASP/Article.asp
(and the forums in the above website, the MACRO pics by others there are top notch! and mine standard is way below theirs........much to learn there)

http://megaweb.clubsnap.org/articles...versed_35mmf2/

tchuanye is offline   Reply With Quote