Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 16, 2005, 5:07 AM   #1

Hi all, sometimes I've some problems with focusing. It's very hard for me to get very sharp pictures (focusing manually), they are always a bit blurry. I think I've focused well but when I watch the pictures on the computer screen, they are always a bit blurry, even a landscape in a sunny day. :?

Can anyone tell me anything about this or any tricks to improme focusing?

Thanks a lot for your help.
trus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2005, 5:49 AM   #2

Yes, I wondered about this one too. I am yet to buy my fz camera but am getting closer. When I tried the fz20 in the store in Bangkok, I found it difficult to get a clear focus in either the viewfinder or on the screen. I wondered if I should have been using me glasses that I use for close work.

I am used to using a camera with auto focus and never wear glasses when using it.I figure this is somethingI needto learn. Can any other members assure us that this will come with practise?
js63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 6:16 AM   #3

Be sure you have the MF assist set on (1st page of the setup menu, lowest option). This wil enlagre the centre portion of the screen digitally if you start turning the focusring. Also, look for the most detailed part of your subject, and use that for focussing. I find the ring personally a bit sensitive, but itdoes the job; just take your time, turn it slowly,and be sure it's set precisely

-> edit: it's bet to use IS mode 1 for this, man focussing doesn't work with a shake view

Goodluck, GB

greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 1:11 PM   #4

I wear glasses too and perhaps it's more difficult for us to focusing well (I'm not sure of this). I hope this little problem disappear taking a lot of pictures. Thanks for reply..
Old Feb 16, 2005, 1:15 PM   #5

Thanks for your answer. I do all things you said. I suppose when I have taken a lot of pictures I will be able focusing better than now. .
Old Feb 16, 2005, 1:46 PM   #6

Trus, you could try using the EVF instead of the LCD and having a play with the diopter adjustment dial. Also, as Greenbaron mentioned, make sure MF assist is on so you get the enlarged focus area in the EVF. I wear glasses for reading (tho may be getting a bit past there now too) and I find that some pics look fine in the LCD, then when I transfer them, to the PC they are out of focus. Worth a try . . . :O
suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 2:14 PM   #7

Thanks Suze. I use the EVF ( I like more than LCD). I hope with practice I find a good solution for this little problem..
Old Feb 16, 2005, 8:43 PM   #8

trus wrote:
Quote:
I wear glasses too and perhaps it's more difficult for us to focusing well (I'm not sure of this). I hope this little problem disappear taking a lot of pictures. Thanks for reply..
you can adjust the focus of the EVF to better suit your eyesight.. there's a little wheel on the side of the EVF thatmight helpmake it a lot clearer. it certainly did for me!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 1:33 AM   #9

Thanks for your advice (I did this the first day I had the camera)..
Old Mar 15, 2005, 9:40 PM   #10

Well I've had my fz20 for about three weeks now. Generally I am very pleased with it. At the moment I am letting autofocus do the work most of the time because there is so much else to learn and I can only concentrate on so many factors at one time. (Comes with age. javascript:emoticon(':?',%20'images/emoticons/confused.gif') )

The problem I have when I do try to focus is that the MF assist cuts out as soon as I stop turning the focus ring. I need a second or two for my own eyes (with or without glasses) to focus on that and make sure it is OK but it's gone. If I turn the ring to turn it on again I lose what I might have had.

I am learning how to make the most of auto focus. Just wondering under what circumstances others find the manual focus to be consistently better.

I don't care whether I'm an expert or not. I just want to take good pictures.
js63 is offline   Reply With Quote