Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 17, 2005, 4:22 AM   #11

I agree with what most everybody is saying. I love my FZ 15 to death for an outside camera. The lense is awsome . For an inside camera -forget it. You can become a pro with these cameras but they will never reproduce natural skin tones no matter what flash your using. I own a canon G5 with a nice external flash and indoors it totaly smokes the fz. Hate to say it, but thats just the truth. I would love also to have a digi Rebel. Even at ISO 1600 it produces pretty clean shots. Youll never get that with any other digital camera. Cant beat a Digi SLR for indoors period!That being said, any trips we go on I take the FZ. So much fun outside and takes stunning shots.

Good luck in your purchase
Dmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 6:15 AM   #12

It's all about the money

If you want a zoom equal to the fz series on a dslr. You need a 200mm (1.6x cropfacter =320mm) and a 21mm wide angle (1.6x = 35mm). With those two lenses you equal the range of a fz20. The only pro is bigger and cleanerimages.

I'm saving my cash for the20D and sigma 50-500mm (1.6xcropf. 800mm!!!!).
800mm on 8.2 megapixels.... just awesome. But the total packageis around 2500 dollar.. soas I said.. It's allabout the money

Dependson the purpose / goal of your photos
TimvdVelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 1:00 PM   #13

This is the thing. I shoot a lot for friends and family---family portraits and kid shots (indoors and outdoors). I would like to develop my skills to the point where I might start a small business (this is probably way into the future). I don't have the money right now to invest in the good lens (no more than the kit lens) and I think it will be quite a while before I can afford them. Can I get professional looking pictures with the fz20 or is this more along the lines of a dslr? Now that the new Rebel was anounced today (see breaking news) I am considering waiting for it to come out in March. Thoughts?
amyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 1:05 PM   #14

If you want to make portrets... DSLR is a must have. No digital camera comes close the natural colors of a dslr. If you want to sell the photos, less noise and large size is also an advantage. It looks better on prints.

As for the price.. I'm waiting for the new rebel to (instead of the 20d). 999 with 18-55mm .. 899 body only.

But don't forget the canon 50mm 1.8 II lens. That is the perfect budget portret lens. Crispy pictures with nice DOF. That lens is around 99 dollars (I think).
TimvdVelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 2:11 PM   #15

Exactly what I needed to know. Thank you. I am so excited about the new Rebel. Gonna be a long couple of weeks.
amyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 3:22 PM   #16

I agree.

I guess it makes few sense to buy a FZ30 after having a FZ20.
(As I also don't think that buying a FZ15/20 after having a FZ10 is a wise thing).

The natural complement for a FZ is a dSLR like D70, 20D, 300D, 350D...
The latter willcost less than two FZ20.

Francesco
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 4:41 PM   #17

Narmer wrote:
Quote:
I agree.

I guess it makes few sense to buy a FZ30 after having a FZ20.
(As I also don't think that buying a FZ15/20 after having a FZ10 is a wise thing).
Completely agree with you Narmer. I have the FZ10 and I have no plan on upgrading to the FZ20/30. The FZ10 does everything I want at the moment and when I want more then it will be a d-SLR in my sights, not the next FZ model.

Treemonkey
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote