Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 16, 2005, 12:18 PM   #1

I am debating about my first digital camera purchase. I have shot with slr film cameras but feel overwhelmed with how much I need to learn about the digital world. I want to buy a nice camera upfront that I can grow into. Is there anyone out there that considered a dslr (such as ist ds or d70) but opted for the fz20 instead. If so, what were your thoughts on that (aside from cost difference) and are you happy with your choice.
amyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2005, 12:30 PM   #2

Hi!!

I almost buy a Nikon D70 instead of my FZ-15 (fz20 was out of stock).

The main reason for deciding FZ was included the Leica lens. One similar lens ( f2.8at 400 mm) for Nikon or any other DSLR cost more than $400.00, and if you want short focals (35 mm) you need to change (waste time)for a different lens.

msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 12:51 PM   #3

Good to know. I hadn't really thought about that. So, I assume you are happy with your choice then. No fear of outgrowing your camera in the future?
Old Feb 16, 2005, 1:48 PM   #4

I think you should start with the FZ. Learn as much as you can and start shooting now. If you feel that a dslr is what you need in the future, these cameras hold their value for resale. I think the FZ will keep you busy for awhile.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 2:00 PM   #5

Thanks guys. I think that is exactly what I'll do. Besides, this way I won't go broke on the camera, always a plus.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 2:55 PM   #6

I would go for the fz20 first. It took me quite a while to get to know this camera (fz10). And i'm saving my cash for a canon 20D now. But I'm quite satisfied with this and i'm not fully grown towards any limitations of the camera
TimvdVelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 3:25 PM   #7

Besides the "sell the FZ20 when you are ready for SLR" idea, I've seen many SLR owners that also have a FZ. They tend to use it when they don't want to lug all of their SLR equipment for a light trip and fun shooting. That sort of testimony was one of my main reasons for getting the FZ20.
eddie_dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 4:15 PM   #8

Also, amyg, you may want to consider your uses for your digcam.

For instance, if you plan to be outdoors and want lots of zoom, then go for the FZ20!

It is much more compact.

If on the other hand, you will be indoors and/or planning to sell your photos go with the DSLR.

Compactness may also be an issue.

A small camera bag will hold an FZ20.

Nikon D70, for instance is quite a bit bigger.

Anyways, welcome to the forum :-)
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 7:32 PM   #9

Thank you for the input guys! While I was chatting with a friend today we got on the subject of cameras. Found out her brother works at Ultimate Electronics and can get me a camera at his discount. The problem is, they don't carry the fz20 or the ist ds I was considering. They do have the Canon Rebel dslr. I wasn't really considering that one. If the discount is significant should I consider it or stick to my original fz20. Any thoughts?
Old Feb 16, 2005, 11:14 PM   #10

stick with Fz20.

Watch Ebay for some deals.

Addendum: You might also consider brandnew not yet available FZ5.:idea:
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote