Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 16, 2005, 3:08 PM   #1

Trying to decide whether to buy the Raynox 6600Pro or the 720. Main concern here of course would be image quality on a FZ20 that I just bought on monday. The 6600 is a wider angle but I would still rather have the better image with little to no post processing.. Thanks in advance, Gerry
ggw2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2005, 4:10 PM   #2

In answer to your question, go with the 6600 if you want little to no post processing. HOWEVER:

I recently purchased the 6600 and have ordered the 720, waiting for it to arrive. I requested and received an RNA from B&H for the 6600 but I've decided to keep it. The 6600 gives you the widest field of view out there, and minimal barrel distortion. However it likes high f-stops and needs its light. It is essentially unusable beyond 1-2X zoom as the edges blur badly. On the FZ-1 with the stock adapter it vignettes sligtly in the upper left corner.

I have a love/hate relationship with this lens. On the one hand it's light and really broadens the field of view much more than what's out there. It has the least barrel distortion but that's easy to correct in PS. However, you must stay within its constraints.

The 720 has worse barrel distortion at wide, only increases the field of view by 38% but stays sharp cornere to corner (allegedly, waiting for it to arrive...).

There have been many posts recently (mostly mine) about the Raynox WAs. Here are some test shots I recently posted:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...252289#p252289

Here are some rare "indoor" WA tests

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...248055#p248055

This is a nice japanese site that compares a bunch of WA converter lenses at various zoom settings using an FZ10. It includes the 6600 and 720.

http://nighthead.adzoo.jp/fz/widecon/wodecon4.htm
__________________________________________________ _____

NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 8:14 PM   #3

I'll be interested in seeing Nick's reaction to the dcr720. I had that lens for awhile but really wasn't happy with the soft corners and at .72x (and that's on the diagonal) I ended up giving it to my father. (Hi, Dad!) I kept my dcr5000 (.5x)although the corners areeven softer withmucho distortion but at least it is a real .5x. From Nick's samples, the dcr6600 looks like the one to get. But Nick being Nick, he wants to use the zoom with a wa lens which I cant quite figure out. Sounds kind of nightmarish and that's probably what he has in mind.:evil:
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 8:49 PM   #4

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
But Nick being Nick, he wants to use the zoom with a wa lens which I cant quite figure out.* Sounds kind of nightmarish and that's probably what he has in mind.:evil:
:lol: ...really, alls I want to do is have the option of changing my camera from a ".35-410(?)" zoom lens to a .26-300(?) zoom lens for shooting conditions where a wider angle of view is more advantageous than the additional reach.

Examples include indoor candids in cramped quarters and street photography where I can have a broad angle of view, say for an urban landscape, and then still have decent zoom capabilities (8 or 9X?) to capture some unsuspecting victim. That's why I was hoping for better zoom-through capabilities on the 6600.

... I think, though, I'm expecting too much out of these converter lenses.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 8:49 PM   #5

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
In answer to your question, go with the 6600 if you want little to no post processing. HOWEVER:

I recently purchased the 6600 and have ordered the 720, waiting for it to arrive. I requested and received an RNA from B&H for the 6600 but I've decided to keep it. The 6600 gives you the widest field of view out there, and minimal barrel distortion. However it likes high f-stops and needs its light. It is essentially unusable beyond 1-2X zoom as the edges blur badly. On the FZ-1 with the stock adapter it vignettes sligtly in the upper left corner.

I have a love/hate relationship with this lens. On the one hand it's light and really broadens the field of view much more than what's out there. It has the least barrel distortion but that's easy to correct in PS. However, you must stay within its constraints.

The 720 has worse barrel distortion at wide, only increases the field of view by 38% but stays sharp cornere to corner (allegedly, waiting for it to arrive...).

There have been many posts recently (mostly mine) about the Raynox WAs. Here are some test shots I recently posted:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...252289#p252289

Here are some rare "indoor" WA tests

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...248055#p248055

This is a nice japanese site that compares a bunch of WA converter lenses at various zoom settings using an FZ10. It includes the 6600 and 720.

http://nighthead.adzoo.jp/fz/widecon/wodecon4.htm
__________________________________________________ _____

Nick, you the man. I really do appreciate the time you take to answer my questions! Now about your bedroom:O, just kidding but that pic alone answered my question and I am going to go with the 6600. By the way why would you want to zoom with a wide angle lens? I have to go with fmoore on this one.

It's going to be a week or so before I order my lens so a few pics with the 720 would be nice when you get it:|. Thanks again, Gerry
ggw2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 8:55 PM   #6

ggw2000 wrote:
Quote:
...why would you want to zoom with a wide angle lens? I have to go with fmoore on this one.
Don't mention it. It's a karma thing. See my post right above you post where I explain to Fred my counterintuitive - but still valid logic, behind wanting good zoom through capabilities with a WA converter.

Or, think of it this way. Suppose Pana came out with flavor of Lumix that went from wide or ultra-wide to 8 or 9X zoom with IS? That would be an interesting camera, wouldn't you say?
Old Feb 16, 2005, 9:30 PM   #7

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
wide or ultra-wide to 8 or 9X zoom with IS? That would be an interesting camera, wouldn't you say?
You're right, Nick. That would be a cool camera. Maybe the 720 will get the job done.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote