Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 16, 2005, 10:28 PM   #1

Here is another pic I took at work. Again, I think the pic looks a bit soft. As for using the full 12X zoom, I guess you are going to notice high noise level for cameras in this range, unless you're willing to spend thousands of dollars to get that professional result.

Also, in case some of you haven't heard yet, Panasonic is expected to release the Lumix DMC- LZ1/LZ2 (go to Dpreview for a sneak look at these two small, compatct cameras) in March. From what I've read, they sound like a real winner to me. Size is about the same size as the Canon Elph type point and shoot cameras. I'm actually considering buying either the LZ1 (priced at $259 with 4MP) or the LZ2 (priced at $299 with 5MP) instead of keeping the FZ3. I don't know, maybe the 12X zoom isn't that essential; the zoom at 6X seem to be pretty adequate.

Here isa snippet of the new cameras:

Panasonic is introducing the incoming LUMIX models 5.0-megapixel DMC-LZ2 and 4.0-megapixel DMC-LZ1, incorporating MEGA O.I.S.(Optical Image Stabilizer) and 6x optical zoom(equivalent to 37mm to 222mm on a 35mm film camera) lens, that run on 2 AA batteries. Panasonic is the first company in the industry to have succeeded in incorporating MEGA O.I.S. into a compact digital camera. Compared to the previous models, the DMC-LC80/70/50, the image processor Venus Engine has been upgraded to the newly developed Venus Engine Plus, which achieves about 50% low energy consumption while providing even higher image quality and quick response. The new models have a large 2.0 inch TRM(Transmissive with Micro Reflective) LCD display which is extremely easy to view, even outdoors on bright, sunny days. And despite the equipment of optical 6x zoom lens unit, the body size is yet as compact as ordinary AA-battery operated 3x optical zoom camera.

Attached Images

mblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2005, 10:35 PM   #2

Can you please post your exif data so we can figure out what setting you are using, they will have a massive effect on picture quality.
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 10:40 PM   #3

Of course, and here it is. But please, give me your honest assessment of my picture.
Attached Files
File Type: txt specs.txt (1.1 KB, 52 views)
Old Feb 16, 2005, 10:42 PM   #4

Here is another sample pic.

Attached Images

Old Feb 16, 2005, 10:44 PM   #5

specs for the second photo.

Attached Files
File Type: txt specs2.txt (1.1 KB, 44 views)
Old Feb 16, 2005, 10:57 PM   #6

I would say that the first image is a little soft but your camera sharpness setting is set to soft so that would be expected. The image looks ok other than that, colours are fine. I dont know the conversion factor for the zoom so I couldnt work out from your exif data what zoom you were at. I sharpened one of your photos in PS. I think it looks better.
Attached Images

Old Feb 16, 2005, 11:04 PM   #7

A huge improvement. I can see the difference, clearly. You say you used PS, is it similar tophotobase? In terms of sharpening up a picture in daytime, what recommendations can you give me, if you can offer any?

Thanks.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 11:14 PM   #8

First of all I would use the on camera sharpening to see if that can give the results you want. I would personally have it set to normal rather than soft.
I dont know how the programs differ, I used unsharp mask to sharpen as you can have more control over the process but you could just use a general sharpen tool to do it quicker and with less playing around with settings.

Treemonkey
Old Feb 16, 2005, 11:28 PM   #9

PS is Photoshop and it offers many more options for post processing than Photobase. As a start Photobase does have a simple sharpening tool in the editor. Try it to get a feel for what it does. I agree with Tree about changing camera settings. Experiment. As far as changing cameras, I think you need to learn your skills rather than swapping hardware.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 12:49 AM   #10

very true as to what TM and nooner are saying..most of the time its a over looked setting of some sort...just keep trying....:G
willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote