Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 17, 2005, 9:08 AM   #11

Oh, also... I tried some photos on the ice rink at Rockefeller Ctr... but most came out dark... did it have to do with the bright white background of the rink?

THanks!
smilez03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 10:10 AM   #12

First, nice pictures! I can practically hear the fountain fish/gargoyle/? gargling :lol:in the second photo.

Second, yes, the bright white ice rink will "fool" the camera into underexposing the scene. Camerasusually adjust exposure so the average brightness of the whole scene is 18% grey, which usually works well--but if you have a scene with a lot of bright area, like an ice rink, the camera will "dim down" the scene to average 18% grey. (A scene with a lot of dark will be overexposed for the same reason--the camera "brightens it up" to 18% grey.) It's sometimes called "fooling the meter." (Your third photo is a good example of that--see how bright the car's taillights and the neon signs are? There is a lot of "dark" in the scene, so everything gets brightened up.)

In a situation like that, you can use exposure compensation in the camera to get the brightness right--you might have to add a stop or two to a bright scene or reduce by a stop or two for a dark scene (to keep a face from "blowing out," for example)--or you can adjust the photos with your editing program of choice on the computer.

Third, the extra moons in that last shot are reflections of the Moon from a couple of the internal elements of your camera's lens. Not much you can do about that--except keep something bright like the Moon as close to the center of the image as you can, so the reflections overlap. (Or you can "clone them out" with a photo-editing program on your computer.)

Tom LaPrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 11:20 AM   #13

I really like the NBC and the Rockafeller Statue pics. Now, go down to central park and capture the gates.
eddie_dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 2:40 AM   #14

These are actually some of the better night shots I've seen from the Lumix.. I think your lack of experience with the camera is working to your benifit.

Great start!!

Jeff

:G
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 3:46 PM   #15

Thanks! That's a big compliment!

I should note that Rockefeller center is VERY illuminated at night... lots of bright lights shining on it so I'm guessing that helped a bit. That was mostly why I chose it to shoot at night. Lincoln Center is not lit up at night and is more difficult to shoot.... not to mention the police officer who kept blowing his whistle at me while i was standing on a fountain taking a picture -- I thought he was going to arrest me because I had my iPod on and didnt notice until he was coming at me!!!

Again, I'm very impressed with the camera!
Old Feb 18, 2005, 4:50 PM   #16

smilez03 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks! That's a big compliment!

I should note that Rockefeller center is VERY illuminated at night... lots of bright lights shining on it so I'm guessing that helped a bit. That was mostly why I chose it to shoot at night. Lincoln Center is not lit up at night and is more difficult to shoot.... not to mention the police officer who kept blowing his whistle at me while i was standing on a fountain taking a picture -- I thought he was going to arrest me because I had my iPod on and didnt notice until he was coming at me!!!

Again, I'm very impressed with the camera!

You should have taken a picture of the cop blowing the whistle.. But then we might not hear from you for a few days....

Jeff

:lol:
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 6:12 PM   #17

Great shots! I especially like the perspective/compostion on the 1st, 3rd and 5th ones. You've inspired me. I think I'll take the camera out tonight.
pggunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 8:52 PM   #18

pgunn, Wow, Me? An inspiration? WOW!

Are you in NYC? Any spots you can think of to do some cool night shots?

I wanted to go out again tonight, but it's cold! I think its 14 degreesright now!