Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 17, 2005, 8:34 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
mtritt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 257
Default

I know this has been posted on this group and the answer is buried in a thread somewhere. I tried searching for it, but just couldn't locate it. Please pardon the redundancy.


Is filter order important? I picked up a Hoya UV and Tiffen polarizer (still awaiting delivery of the Hoya). If I'm out in the open daylight all day, there are times that I would want to put the polarizer on, but would mostly have it off. I would think that the polarizer can be screwed onto the front threads of the Hoya for ease of use. And now that I'm thinking about it, I hope the Hoya has front threads. Of course, if the UV filters goes on top of the polarizer, then...

All info welcome.

Thanks!


mtritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2005, 9:50 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
fmoore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,116
Default

mtritt wrote:
Quote:
I would think that the polarizer can be screwed onto the front threads of the Hoya for ease of use. And now that I'm thinking about it, I hope the Hoya has front threads.
Yes, the uv filter will have front threads and that's the way to do it.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 10:48 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
LoveLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,288
Default

mtritt wrote:
Quote:
I know this has been posted on this group and the answer is buried in a thread somewhere. I tried searching for it, but just couldn't locate it. Please pardon the redundancy.


Is filter order important? I picked up a Hoya UV and Tiffen polarizer (still awaiting delivery of the Hoya). If I'm out in the open daylight all day, there are times that I would want to put the polarizer on, but would mostly have it off. I would think that the polarizer can be screwed onto the front threads of the Hoya for ease of use. And now that I'm thinking about it, I hope the Hoya has front threads. Of course, if the UV filters goes on top of the polarizer, then...

All info welcome.

Thanks!

Yes, but too much glass. You can loose up to 3 f-stops and never go out without your hood. The FZ zoom needs a hood on at all times except on-boardflash.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 11:04 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
indiawala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 403
Default

remember the UV goes on before anything else...then any additional lens. The polarizer should really only be used outdoors in bright light cause it does significantly lessen the light input. But the polarizer doessome amazing things. Also a rubber folding hood, like thehama could be had on ebay for about $5-$10 and this helps a lot too. Also remember to lessen the glass as playlong said, i take the UV off when I am using a close up lens for macro or telephoto lens...maybe its not needed but each layer of glass increases the chance of something going wrong. So i like to keep it simple

just my 2 cents...seth
indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 11:43 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
mtritt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 257
Default

LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
Yes, but too much glass. You can loose up to 3 f-stops and never go out without your hood. The FZ zoom needs a hood on at all times except on-boardflash.
I know you're a big proponent of the hood, but what is the real difference between using it and not? I've taken some very nice shots without the hood. I know the hood will minimize any reflections, but would you happen to have any with/without shots or know of a place that does? I just want to see if carrying the extra bulk around with me is really worth it.


Thanks, all.
mtritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 4:49 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Treemonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 628
Default

LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
Yes, but too much glass. You can loose up to 3 f-stops and never go out without your hood. The FZ zoom needs a hood on at all times except on-board flash.
Losing 3 f-stops! Thats a 10 % transmission (90 % loss) of light. I think you would be hard pressed to do that by stacking two filters together, unless they are ND filters.
I also dont understand what the big issues about lens hoods is all about. I have the Phayee adaptor with its nice inbuilt hood, I also have a hama (replica) rubber extendable hood and to be perfectly honest I haven't noticed any difference when using the hama hood to the Phayee hood. I actually wish it didn't buy the hood as it really doesn't seem to do anything.
My 2c worth.

Treemonkey
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 10:35 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
LoveLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,288
Default

Treemonkey wrote:
Quote:
LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
Yes, but too much glass. You can loose up to 3 f-stops and never go out without your hood. The FZ zoom needs a hood on at all times except on-board flash.
Losing 3 f-stops! Thats a 10 % transmission (90 % loss) of light. I think you would be hard pressed to do that by stacking two filters together, unless they are ND filters.
I also dont understand what the big issues about lens hoods is all about. I have the Phayee adaptor with its nice inbuilt hood, I also have a hama (replica) rubber extendable hood and to be perfectly honest I haven't noticed any difference when using the hama hood to the Phayee hood. I actually wish it didn't buy the hood as it really doesn't seem to do anything.
My 2c worth.

Treemonkey




The Polarizer accounts for up to two stops and the light transmission loss between three pieces of glass adds one.



Here is some information about your equipment and a review of the hood shortcomings.

Chen is the original designer of your equipment which Phayee borrowed.



http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam...n-Adapter.html





and here is some hood reading.



http://www.vanwalree.com/optics/lenshood.html

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/Lens-Hoods.aspx

http://photography.about.com/od/basics/a/bplenshoods.htm

http://www.thenocturnes.com/nighttalk/messages/512.html


LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 4:50 AM.