Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 17, 2005, 2:19 PM   #1

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have the FZ-10 and I've been in the market for a wide angle lens. I'm wondering if anybody knows anything about this Sony lens and if they could tell me anything about it?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=116492&is=REG

Would I be better off just getting the Raynox DCR-720? It's half the cost of the Sony, but that kind of scares me, I don't want to get something cheap. I'm planning on getting the Raynox 52mm tube adapter.

:?:
xanadu1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2005, 5:23 PM   #2

I found a thread on here that talks about a similar Sony lens and it doesn't seem to work well, so I'm going to go with the Raynox DCR-720, unless someone can recommend something better?

Here's the thread I found:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...89&forum_id=23
Old Feb 17, 2005, 5:47 PM   #3

xanadu1979 wrote:
Quote:
I found a thread on here that talks about a similar Sony lens and it doesn't seem to work well, so I'm going to go with the Raynox DCR-720, unless someone can recommend something better?

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...89&forum_id=23
In my hot little hands I happen to have the DCR720, which arrived in the mail today. I also have the DCR 6600. I've only taken a few shots with the 720. It suffers from barrel distortion at the widest end. This is correctalbe in Photoshop, and there's a free program called "Panotools" that makes it easy. It is a better lens to zoom through.

However, the Raynox DCR 6600 buys you significantly more space, is very clean at wide. With the FZ-1 it vignettes slightly sometimes but not badly. Basically, however, you can only zoom up to the end if 1X which brings you to about 55mm (guessing).

Tough call between which one is better overall from early impressions.

You may want to take a look at the 6600 before buying the 720. It buys you significant space, increasing the view field by 50% with almost no barrel distorion. They're both different lenses. It depends what your needs are.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 6:11 PM   #4

Thanks for the info, I think I will give the 6600 a shot.
Old Feb 17, 2005, 6:16 PM   #5

Don't mention it. I would do this for you but have to log off in a second. Click under my name name in my avatar, and it will bring you to a grid. In that grid select "topics", I have posted several test pic of the 6600. Look for those threads. Within those threads are posts that have links to various test sites on the net where others have posted a deluge of WA converter test shots, including the 720 and 6600. Lots of good insights on those threads from other owners, and the links to the test shots are invaluable.
Old Feb 17, 2005, 6:47 PM   #6

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
xanadu1979 wrote:
Quote:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23
It is a better lens to zoom through.

Nick, still on that old "Zoom Through" huh! :blah:. What do ya think Fred? Gerry
ggw2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 7:08 PM   #7

ggw2000 wrote:
Quote:
Well, looks like I'll have to save up my peso's and pick me up the Pentax 1stD (...whatever it is) that has an 18mm to 55mm lens. Worth a shot.
Old Feb 17, 2005, 8:30 PM   #8

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
ggw2000 wrote:
Quote:
Well, looks like I'll have to save up my peso's and pick me up the Pentax 1stD (...whatever it is) that has an 18mm to 55mm lens. Worth a shot.

Nick, please post some pics and your evaluation of the 720 when you have time.I know you just got it today... Thanks, Gerry
ggw2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 10:11 PM   #9

xanadu1979 wrote:
Quote:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23
Buy a DCR66600
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote