Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 17, 2005, 6:14 PM   #1

Been to the airport today, and whilst there, I decided to try some panning shots. This one worked out best. What's very nice, but probably more to the aircraft spotters, is that this aircraft is just 2 weeks out of the factory. Very new indeed, very lucky to catch it. Another fun factor is the bright light on the wingtip; It's a strobe light, and pretty rare to catch 8)

Cheers! GB
Attached Images

greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2005, 6:28 PM   #2

Nice shot. What settings were used?
adri1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 6:50 PM   #3

I forgot :?

iso 80, 33mm (= 5.5x= 35mm equiv: 198mm) f/8.0 (A-priority) +0.3 exposure compensation. IS mode 1 used. It was very difficult to get some good shots, and this was in fact the only one that's worth to keep, but still not as sharp as they can/should be.. Nice project for a lot of practice

Cheers! GB
Old Feb 17, 2005, 7:09 PM   #4

That's beautiful. I can feel the speed. Good shot!
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 9:46 PM   #5

greenbaron wrote:
Quote:
Been to the airport today, and whilst there, I decided to try some panning shots. This one worked out best. What's very nice, but probably more to the aircraft spotters, is that this aircraft is just 2 weeks out of the factory. Very new indeed, very lucky to catch it. Another fun factor is the bright light on the wingtip; It's a strobe light, and pretty rare to catch 8)

Cheers! GB
Almost perfect but you chopped the tail.Don't tell me how hard it is to take a pan. I know and appreciate your work. Next time improve your odds by backing off a little on the zoom.

LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 10:47 PM   #6

very nicely done... aircraft is in clear focus, and the background blur really gives you the feeling of speed...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 10:51 PM   #7

Very nice indeed! I agree, it would be cool to see the tail... but those shots are so challenging!
smilez03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 7:57 AM   #8

Yes, it should indeed have either been the whole aircraft or just the front half; I was trying some zoom, to get even more of the effect, but it's fairly hard to guess where to set the zoom; once they're close, there's no time for adjusting anymore A few whole-subject-in-the-pic shots made it as well, but the background blur is much less in these.

Cheers! GB
Old Feb 18, 2005, 8:29 AM   #9

Good shot. Love the aviation photos.I shota helicopter with the strobe on this winter but it was from below and the sky above was a puke gray so not such a great pic overall never posted it. How could you tell it was only two weeks out from the factory?
jer1ivp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 8:38 AM   #10

There are a few leading civil aircraft photo databases (http://www.airliners.net and http://www.jetphotos.net). I wanted to upload the picture at those, but there was no information found with that registratrion; so I changed my search, and stumbled over a picture of the same craft, at the factory with French registration (aircrafts are assembled in France). Picture date was Jan. 31 :arrow:

Unfortunately they didn't found the picture interesting enough; Guess it really needed that tail :G