Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 18, 2005, 1:39 AM   #11

nice shots!!!
Tokret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 2:24 AM   #12

These are SWEET! All I can say is WOW!!

For those of us without broadband connections, to avoid asking posters to go out of their way, stop the download once the thread begins. So all you have is the box indicating where there should be a picture. Right click on that box, and hit "VIEW PICTURE". Loading them one at a time is much faster than all of them loading at once. Works for me..

Jeff

jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 5:44 AM   #13

Gospel... love the march shot! Clouds are cool too.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 5:46 AM   #14

Very, Very interesting and definitely all have a haunting quality. I especially like #3 (little girl on bench) and #5 (scarecrow). Also rezajunes photo of the cottage amongst the trees.
suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 5:58 AM   #15

shotgunbride wrote:
Quote:
It's really incredible. I'm going back to read that thread again. Good idea Nick.
Unfortunately, SGB, you really can't do this as well with cameras other than the FZ-1 in the Lumix line (... it actually tipped the scales for me in going with the 1 instead of the 10). The rest of the line block out infrared rays with a filter. My understanding is that it interferes with metering. You can but it's much more difficult as these filters block 70% of infrared light. Oddly, there's a new Canon SLR coming out that doesn't have an ir filter. They consider it a "speciality" DSLR and are charging an arm and a leg for it. If you google digital infrared there's some sites out there that tell you what digital cameras work with an ir filter.

... if you're really into it, the FZ-1's are going for around $200 on eBay.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 8:14 AM   #16

canon eos 20Da (a- stands for astrophotography)

pretty expensive.. but no ir-filter in front of the sensor pretty cwl
TimvdVelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 8:22 AM   #17

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
shotgunbride wrote:
Quote:
It's really incredible. I'm going back to read that thread again. Good idea Nick.
Unfortunately, SGB, you really can't do this as well with cameras other than the FZ-1 in the Lumix line (... it actually tipped the scales for me in going with the 1 instead of the 10). The rest of the line block out infrared rays with a filter. My understanding is that it interferes with metering. You can but it's much more difficult as these filters block 70% of infrared light. Oddly, there's a new Canon SLR coming out that doesn't have an ir filter. They consider it a "speciality" DSLR and are charging an arm and a leg for it. If you google digital infrared there's some sites out there that tell you what digital cameras work with an ir filter.

One of the sites you'll find is a UK site dedicated to Fuji cameras. It describes using a remote to test the ability of taking IR photos.. The FZ20 somewhat passes the test but it Is dark. I would imagine you would have to stretch out to the 8 second range to get a decent exposure and then do a lot of post processing. I have some IR filters from other cameras and intend to try it sometime soon.. Can't loose anything here but time.

Jeff

:G
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 8:52 AM   #18

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
shotgunbride wrote:
Quote:

I thought that's what I read the first time, which is why I went back. I wouldn't mind adding and FZ1 to my collection but it's hardly justified. I've yet to produce a decent pic with the FZ20. I'm going back the basics, taking stills of apples and experimenting. But I'm fascinated none the less, maybe worth a look at the 35mm again.
shotgunbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 9:21 PM   #19

This is pretty much straight from the camera with the r72 and wb set manual to ambient light through the filter. I cloned out a stainon the cross andI might have run it through NeatImage.

[align=center][/align]

Here's one totally straight from the camera and below it is the same image denoised with NeatImage and Channel Mixed andAuto Leveledin Photoshop. For more info see fz1 ir tutorial at http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23

[align=center][/align]

[align=center][/align]
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 10:37 PM   #20

Wow! I'm blown away. Nick, I love the shot of the horse in front of the barn, and the one of the girl on the bench.

Rezajune's is great too. And the house shots with the trees from Moore in Philadelphia. I love the trees! Very trippy. Hey, man. Have you ever really looked at your branches? Far out!

I took some cartography and remote sensing, air photo/ map interpretation classes a few years ago. My only exposure (no pun intended) to infrared photography was from those classes pertaining to IR satellite imagery. I didn't realize the potential for fine art IR photography. Satellite images do have a certain aesthetic quality in a more abstract sense, but the fine resolution of these photographs present everyday objects in a new light (pun intended.) Excellent work. I'm going to read up on it.
pggunn is offline   Reply With Quote