Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 18, 2005, 11:15 AM   #1

I'm new to the forums and to the panasonic fz20 camera (I haven't even had it a week and have fallen in love!) I was wondering what tried and true products are used for the following:
  1. if possible an additional macro lens
    circular polarizing filter (i'm under the impression circular is best due to the auto focus feature)

My last camera was just a FujiFine Pix 3800 so all of the manual features are taking a bit to learn I would really appreciate if some advice can be given on what brand, size, price, etc for those two lens/filters I am looking to purchase
StarryMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2005, 11:48 AM   #2

Read through this. Use a linear polarizer.
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...:arrow::arrow:

http://www.users.bigpond.com/vkelim/DMCFZ10/
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 1:05 PM   #3

thank you so much!!
StarryMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 6:42 PM   #4

StarryMom wrote:
Quote:
I'm new to the forums and to the panasonic fz20 camera (I haven't even had it a week and have fallen in love!) I was wondering what tried and true products are used for the following:
  1. if possible an additional macro lens
    circular polarizing filter (i'm under the impression circular is best due to the auto focus feature)
My last camera was just a FujiFine Pix 3800 so all of the manual features are taking a bit to learn I would really appreciate if some advice can be given on what brand, size, price, etc for those two lens/filters I am looking to purchase
Learn camera first.http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/ No circular, Linear it is less money and works better. Get UV first. Fliter should cost you no more then $40.00 for both. Save money be wise. Spend it on a good macro, WA or Tele.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 6:45 PM   #5

Just buy the cheapest pola you can get !

(for me this was a circular srry lovelife :G)

Uv filter is pretty useless... unless you intend to cratch the lens (which is very hard to do!)
TimvdVelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 6:52 PM   #6

I think you should have a UV on all the time for protection of the lens. Dust and scratches are possible and you don't want to replace the lens. Cheap insurance.:arrow:
Old Feb 18, 2005, 6:56 PM   #7

true.. But the lens itself is coated really good and all lenses since 1992 are anti-scratch. Its truly difficult to get a scratch. I once rubbed my lens with my shirt (clean) and afterwards I saw some sand on the lens... I thought.. OH NO it must have scratcehd! but I don't see anything the lens is still crystal clear. And the uv-coating on the lens is to thick to get through...

I've read an article about the uv-filters / moneywasting.. trying to find it now.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 7:01 PM   #8

It's an endless discussion that been heard here many times. It's up to each person as matter of personal use. 2cents.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 7:02 PM   #9

TimvdVelde wrote:
Quote:
Just buy the cheapest pola you can get !

(for me this was a circular srry lovelife :G)

Uv filter is pretty useless... unless you intend to cratch the lens (which is very hard to do!)
I did not say the cheapest. Hoya series B coated both sides $22 Linear and $20.00 UV in 62mm. What brand and was your CPL coated? CPL is not needed for the FZ. UV and third party adapter used to protect lens and mechanism from dust and dirt.

See LP CPL side by side.... http://lovelife.smugmug.com/photos/15139825-L.jpg
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 7:09 PM   #10

Yeah I know.. But in holland.. a new polarizer linear costs 30 euros (about 40 dollars). And I had a bargain from ebay circ. polarizer for 15 dollar
New circ. polarizer costs 60 dollar here.. so If I had bought a new one it would have been a linear

ok now ? :G