Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 2, 2005, 2:18 AM   #11

Bump:..... Post 1.

Fred said feel free to add to it. So I'm going to.. My next 3 posts will demonstrate a possible software alternative for the folks without the FZ1 IR capability..

I was going to purchase an FZ1 for the IR capability (still haven't tested my fuji yet) but the piggy bank said no. Can't afford it right now (no I don't regret buying the FZ20 even if I could have had 2 FZ1 for the price). So What to do?? We all know that the true beauty of digital photography is the ability to manipulate images freely. Having photoshop, with all the freebie stuff out there, it just HAS to be possible to do this in post processing. Well, I've discovered, to some extent, that it is. Keep in mind here that I have next to zero experience with IR photography and am using examples posted within this forum for a guide.

The photo shown below was actually shot on medium format film with a miniature Speed graphic, printed 8x10, and then scanned on a cheapo flat bed scanner. The image you are seeing is heavily modified (wires removed, different sky painted in as it was actually cloudy and raining when the photo was taken, very saturated with a burn in tool in photoshop (5). This was also done before I knew about multiple saves on high compression degrading an image so you are looking at about an 8th generation medium res JPG.

Attached Images

jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 2:29 AM   #12

After SEVERAL hours and late nights playing with photoshop, virtual photographer, in conjunction with the Opanda Photofilter program. A Kodak 89b is available within that program which, according to the link that Nick posted in another thread, is equivilant to the Hoya R72. Of course the flaw in the slaw here is that we can't set white balance in post processing. Well, we probably could but as I've discovered, it's more of a pain than it's worth.. Pushing a photo through the Opanda program gives a very highlighted Red version of the photo. No amount of fiddling with virtual photographer came close to what I was after.

Then, I discovered Harrys' Filters wich is available from the plugin links listed in the digicam software here at Steves (Thanks Steve). After some playing around with it, In photoshop, this is what popped out of the filter settings.. Quite by accident I might add.. (auto levels applied after Harry's filters).. You can see my poor attempt at painting in clouds in this one.

Continue onto Part 3.
Attached Images

Old Mar 2, 2005, 2:45 AM   #13

Post 3..

Fred, in his first post, suggests swapping the Red and Blue channels in the Channel mixer of photoshop. Here's the result of that.

The settings...

Harrys' Filters
Group: Artistic
FX: YUV Intensity
Red V 27
Green 106
Blue V 155
Red U 49
Green U 36
Blue U 79
-/+Y 88
Strength 97

All the rest at default

Photo 3 shown below.. Do it again, with the remixed channels and you'll get one similar to the photo in my second post here but darker sky and brighter foliage..

One final note.. Since I don't yet have any nice outdoor shots with the Panasonic, I borrowed photos from the Photo of the day section of Steves (and a few others).. I can't show them to you as the originals aren't mine. I'm just stating that as a suggestion of source files to try this out on. The only thing it really doesn't do well on are photos that are so saturated the highlights are blown out.

Have fun,
Jeff
Attached Images

Old Mar 2, 2005, 7:22 AM   #14

Very,very nice. Thanks for sharing. Among the best digital pseudo-IR's thanks for posting. One thing, however. Part of the fun of shooting IR is the surprises. Ordinary objects you wouldn't imagine would look the way they do, look totally different with an ir filter. I've fooled around with a few digital solutions, but - for whatever reason, haven't found any that is quite the same. Yours is about the best.

The other issue is, it's just flat out fun to shoot ir.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 11:14 AM   #15

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
Very,very nice. Thanks for sharing. Among the best digital pseudo-IR's thanks for posting. One thing, however. Part of the fun of shooting IR is the surprises. Ordinary objects you wouldn't imagine would look the way they do, look totally different with an ir filter. I've fooled around with a few digital solutions, but - for whatever reason, haven't found any that is quite the same. Yours is about the best.

The other issue is, it's just flat out fun to shoot ir.
Thanks Nick.. I'm not suggesting one should, or could, replace the other. Just an alternative or maybe even an enhancement.. I tried to play with a couple of your IR photos but, perfect as is.. Personally, I still intend to purchase the R72 and try this out with my cameras.. I'm really hoping my Fuji can handle it if the FZ20 can't.. If not, I'll bet there's an FZ1 owner out there somewhere who still hasn't purchased an IR filter ..

From an Image quality standpoint there is really no compare to the real thing.. Just the look. In order to pull this off with my method, a RAZOR sharp, very high resolution photo is required to begin with. Maybe even the TIFF capture.. RAW would be ideal because you can set the WB within the file but we don't (yet) have that option. The examples Fred posted at the beginning are still far better than anything I've come up with.

Just for grins and giggles, here's one that started a few years ago in my Fuji..

Jeff
:G
Attached Images

Old Mar 2, 2005, 12:09 PM   #16

Jeff -The final one of the stream looks pretty good. Here is another group of comparisons. Feel free to apply your technique to the first and see how close you can come to the last. The original of the first non-ir color shot is at http://www.ishots.net/infrared/bridge/P1100830orig.JPGfor you to work on.

FZ1 alone

FZ1 w/ r72 auto wb

FZ1 w/ r72 manual wb through the filter

FZ1 w/ r72 (above shot) pp'd with Channel Mixer and Auto Levels

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 12:55 PM   #17

This would be the acid test.. Thanks for providing the original. I've already spent hours trying to get it right with photos like this (very nice btw) and my method just won't do it.. It works best when there are a lot of colors, reds, oranges, yellows, etc.. For those types of photos it works as a quick and dirty solution. This photo is basically tri-tone.. That is, Green, Concrete gray, and Blue.. Different hues of each but it doesn't lend itself well to the technique.. Like other IR photos, billowy clouds really add to the effect as well..

I can see that the software Opanda Kodak 89b isn't the same as the real Hoya R72 from these photos as well. So even If I could adjust the WB, it would still be lacking that surreal look. Just applying the 89b and the Harrys Filter settings, gives a blown out white cast photo..

That brings up a question.. When you set the Manual WB with the filter on the camera, do you use a card or just let it set to whatever flows in through the filter??

I can see a Hoya R72 in my immediate future....

BTW.. Is that the Starucca Viaduct of Erie RR fame??

Jeff
:G