Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 18, 2005, 6:08 PM   #1

The FZ1 and FZ2 are the only fz series cameras sensitive enough to infrared lightfor decent ir photography. The strength of the internal ir blockers on the later fz series cameras render them essentially useless for ir work. Below are the basics for taking handheld ir photos with the FZ1 and FZ2.
  1. 1. A Hoya r72 ir filter is needed. Preferably 55mm since that is the diameter of the lens adapter. ~$40 [/*]
  2. 2. Bright sunlight is required since the r72 is a dark red filter and shutter speeds of 1/10 – 1/30 sec are the norm even in bright sunlight. Also look for nice billowing clouds and good foliage. At shutter speeds of 1/20 even a slight breeze will blur the foliage so look for calm weather. [/*]
  3. 3. In order to get 1/20 sec shutter speeds you will need to set the iso to 200 and ev compensation to –2/3. [/*]
  4. 4. With the r72 attached to the camera, set the white balance manually to the ambient light. This is critical. Otherwise, the resulting image will have a strong reddish hue. [/*]
  5. 5. Shoot in normal color mode; ie, with color effect off.
Here is an image straight from the fz1 using this proceedure.

[/*]
[align=center][/align]

[align=left]A simple manipulation of this image using the Channel Mixer and Auto Levels adjustment in Photoshop can enhance the image considerably to more recognized ir colors. Here is that proceedure.

[/align]

[align=left] 1. With the image opened in PS, select Image/Adjust/Channel Mixer. Set OutputChannel Red to: Red 0%, Green 0%, and Blue 100%. Set Green to Red 0%, Green 100%, and Blue 0%. Set Blue to Red 100%, Green 0%, and Blue 0%. This just simply reverses the Red to Blue and the Blue to Red. Hit OK.[/align]

[align=left] 2. Hit Ctrl+Shift+L toaccept Auto Levels.

[/align]

[align=left]Here is the result of that manipulation.

[/align]

[align=center][/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=left]The use of a tripod will allow for iso50 andhigher apertures with shutter speeds in the 1-2 sec range. This will increase the quality of the shot. For those who travel light and prefer handheld (myself included), noise reduction software such as NeatImage is very beneficial. Applythe noise reduction before the Channel Mixer and Levels and then sharpen last for best results.[/align]
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2005, 6:14 PM   #2

Thanks Fred. Very good info
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 6:40 PM   #3

Excellent info, Fred! Thank you. This is the clearest tutorial I have seen on the subject. I started an IR collection, don't know if you saw it, but would love if you post something there. Incidently this is a nice shot.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 7:26 PM   #4

Hi Fred,
Can you tell me where is the best place to get a 55mm Hoya IR filter for $40.00? I have an FZ1v2 and I would like to look into this.

Thanks!
Austintatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 7:40 PM   #5

Austintatious wrote:
Quote:
Hi Fred,
Can you tell me where is the best place to get a 55mm Hoya IR filter for $40.00? I have an FZ1v2 and I would like to look into this.

Thanks!
B&H has it for $40.50, about $45 delivered. However, I got it for about $40 shipped from an eBay seller. I would use B&H, good return policy very fast shipper. No probs with eBay purchase, but it took 7 or 8 days to arrive.

Here's the B&H link:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont....x=0&image.y=0
Old Feb 18, 2005, 7:59 PM   #6
jcr

Hi ,

I know you all say that only FZ1& FZ2 can do IR shots, but I assume you are talking about handheld.

Is it possible to a FZ20 to do it on a tripod ?I did the remote TV testand I can see that blue (kind of) light flashing,of course, I don't know if the intensity is enough...
jcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 8:01 PM   #7

I got mine at freestylephoto.bizfor $35.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 8:05 PM   #8

Thanks to both Fred and Nick !!
Austintatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 9:54 PM   #9

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
Excellent info, Fred! Thank you. This is the clearest tutorial I have seen on the subject. I started an IR collection, don't know if you saw it, but would love if you post something there. Incidently this is a nice shot.
Thanks, Nick. I put up couple of shots atyour original ir thread which, of course, was the impetus for this thread. For me, infraredwasyet another unexpected blast from the fantastic fz1. There are some newbies out there and maybe some not-so-newbies who dont fullyrealize the splendid power and versatility of the unique fz1 - the twomeg gem.

It's a shamePanasonic can't see an economical reason for making ir sensitivty available on the new cameras. I think Sony mada a digicam with a strong ir blocker that was or could beremoved or somehow disabled in night mode. Perhaps that option is no longer economically feasible.

Hold onto your fz1.

-Fred

BTW: Anyone and everyone is welcome to add to this tutorial.

Old Feb 19, 2005, 12:46 PM   #10

... Yes! I absolutey intend to hold on to it. I have no interest in any other camera at the moment. My next purchase will be in a few years, probably a DSLR but I'm in no rush. Perhaps a year or two? I like shooting natural light candids and their ability to shoot as high ISOs is something you just can't do with any digicam on the market. I also like the idea of adding lenses as time goes on. (I'll never need a big zoom, though...) Though I have half a mind just to leave a roll of 1000 speed film in my SLR for when such a need arises, and just scan them in.

If the FZ-1 didn't make fantastic 8X10's, I would feel like I'm missing out, but since it does, I would only lose the capability to shoot IR. Since I hardly ever crop (thanks to the zoom capability), there's really no need for all those megapixels. I simply don't miss/need them.

I followed the doc by Alexo (FZ-1 FAQ) and have overcome all limitations of the camera. With a few teleconverters, I have extended on its already remarkable optics. It's all the camera I need for a while.

I have nothing to add to this excellent tut. Thanks, again.